Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fayemarie_gw

Discount Roses

fayemarie
10 years ago

I saw some discounted knock out roses at the garden center today . They looked a bit neglected but not dead .
Considered purchasing a bunch as I have a very large property and plenty of space for them . Has anyone else done this and does anyone have advice on how to plant and care for them ? Thought maybe I should cut them back right after planting ? Any advice would be
appreciated .

Comments (8)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Water them really thoroughly and do not give them any food until after they have shown significant new growth.

Now water them some more. That is the one thing Garden Centers seem to neglect too often. Poor thing is probably half dead from thirst!

Don't waterlog it, but keep the soil moist, especially for the next month while it settles into your garden soil.

I don't think you need to prune the rose, unless it has some dead wood (brown canes) on it. Just try to not disturb the roots and soil in which it was growing at the Garden Center.

Kate

• fayemarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kate ,

We have had huge amounts of rain and flooding here so I thought they possibly had become water logged in their pots ? Do you think that's possible ? If I can get them at a great price then atleast I'm not taking too big of a risk .
    Thanks for the input .

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Water logging is certainly a possibility. Another is with all that water, the nitrogen has probably washed from the soil so the plants are malnourished. If the price is right and they appear to still be viable, go for it. Definitely get them settled in and stable, then consider starting to feed them as you do the rest of your roses. You should see some dramatic improvements. Kim

• roseblush1
    10 years ago

My own rule of thumb about rain watering roses in containers is, "Don't count on the rain to give the plant enough water no matter how often or how heavy it rains."

If the plants have foliage, the rain bounces off of the leaves and little water actually reaches the container. I had to learn this lesson the hard way.

So, yes, it is "possible", but don't count on the rain water logging the pots. I've learned to check.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• fayemarie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Everyone !

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I have to agree with Lyn. I have between 50 and 60 potted roses every year and even when it rains they don't always get wet. It's not like the ones in the ground where the surrounding soil soaks up moisture and spreads it. Sometimes the leaf canopy of the rose itself will shed the water off to the sides and not into the pot. So I check my containers after every rain to make sure they actually got watered. Many times I've had to supplement with the hose.

• DrMuffinz
    10 years ago

I work in a garden center that carried KO, as well as a few others. Usually they are just super neglected and also suffering from the effects of shipping - and sometimes being left in the refrigerated trucks for too long. Many end up developing black spot and other problems.

That being said, I've bought a few clearance roses (HTs and Floribundas) that had an assortment of problems. I pruned the problem leaves, gave it a spray, and watered well. I haven't fed them yet, but after a week they seem to have significantly recovered and are putting out new growth. I'll probably feed this week and have high hopes they'll recover nicely.

I've heard the KOs, especially the climbers and carpets really take off.

• mirendajean (Ireland)
    10 years ago

I was just wondering if you purchased those roses and how they're doing.

M

Ps came across this thread by accident

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County