Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth_willett

Strange growth

Beth Willett
11 years ago

What would cause this? This is a Brigadoon rose. It already is through its first flush, is very healthy, but the new growth looks weird and definitely not typical of this rose. I don't know what to do with it, cut some of it off? alll of it off? keep the central bud? Why would it do this? Thanks for any help from the experts!

{{gwi:281655}}

Beth

Comments (13)

• kstrong
    11 years ago

That's all normal, healthy growth indicating a Happy Happy rose. Leave it be.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

New growth on many roses is a bright red color. It will turn green as it matures. The leaf and bud form on that all looks normal.

• Beth Willett
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok then! Thanks experts! I was not concerned about the color, more the change in growth habit since this is a hybrid tea. But I'll see what happens! I'm afraid those wimpy stems won't hold up the roses. This is a super healthy rose in prime real estate at my house, and one of my favorites! If only all my roses got this kind of sun exposure....but this is what it normally looks like - 1 bloom per stem.
    {{gwi:281657}}

• kstrong
    11 years ago

Those "wimpy" stems will put on girth and strength as they mature and will be fine to hold up the blooms when they come -- it's got to start somewhere, and this rose is just telling you it's starting now.

• henry_kuska
    11 years ago

I hope that they are right that it is normal growth, but I would not dismiss the possibility, yet, that the plant received a "boost" from a growth hormone such as low concentration round-up (has their been spray activity in the area?).

If you give the name of the hybrid tea, perhaps someone can tell you if their plant of that variety sometimes exhibited such "grandiflora like" behaviour.

Here is a link that might be useful: grandiflora

• jerijen
    11 years ago

That's what Brigadoon does -- particularly in California. It's even more striking with one of my personal favorites, 'Gardens Of The World.'

You do NOT have a problem, Beth. You have a very happy rose, and one that excels in Southern California gardens.

Jeri

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

I agree - your picture is that of a VERY happy rose, putting out new growth. Looks as if it is planning on getting much bigger - not unusual at all here in CA. Congratulations! Just stand back and let it be - as said above, those red spindly new canes will turn green and get much fatter & stiffer as they mature.

Jackie

• henry_kuska
    11 years ago

Sorry, I missed that you had named it in the original post. I wonder if 10 years earlier, it would have been classified as a lower growing grandiflora.

• particentral
    11 years ago

I have some HTs that will occasionally put on Candelabra type clusters, then when that group is done we get back to normal. This is what they look like when they are forming those clusters.

• Beth Willett
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, Great! Thanks everyone! Maybe I'll post another pic when the buds open so you can all be proud of yourselves for telling me to leave it alone! I tend to love them too much! Probably a common problem.....haha!
    Beth

• rosetom
    11 years ago

Just to pile on a bit, here, be thankful for that vigorous growth! Many HT's look like that (or worse) when they really get the growing itch. It's frustrating to have a huge cane jump up about 3 feet and have multiple buds with no 5-leaflet leaves to properly mark the debudding point. Not to worry - that's what many of them do when they get really excited to grow.

• queenbee_1
    11 years ago

I am doing the happy dance! I have tons of this growth on my roses and was afraid they had something strange... Good to know what's going on..

• Beth Willett
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update....you all were right!
    {{gwi:281659}}
    I'm glad I didn't cut it off! This sure isn't normal for Brigadoon though!
    Beth