Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dr Huey as Rose Midge Trap??

Posted by zack_lau z6 CT (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 14 at 22:57

Has anyone else used Dr. Huey to trap rose midge?

Years ago, I used to trap rose midge by repeatedly cutting off the top growth--creating an abundant supply new growth that attracted rose midge. The midge lay eggs in the new growth. I think it actually worked pretty well, until I decided to use that space for growing more HTs.

You might try this if you have lost roses--often the Dr. Huey rootstock will come up during the summer. I'd like to know if this idea helps anyone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dr Huey as Rose Midge Trap??

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 31, 14 at 21:54

I have a Dr. Huey growing right now but I don't have a huge problem with midge so I'm not sure I want to attract them to lay eggs in it.

o
RE: Dr Huey as Rose Midge Trap??

Unlike JBs, rose midge are poor fliers--they typically arrive via infected potted plants.

Selective watering may also be useful. Holding back water may induce dormacy, stopping fresh new growth, insuring that midge will only attack the target plants that have been well watered during the hot summer months.

This may be quite useful as an organic control for those who don't want to use insecticides in their yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here