Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Didn't kill my rose yet-what is it &what should I do with it?

Posted by fori CA (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 22:58

A while back I asked advice on moving an old rose bush but I chickened out. I think I will have a similar location to move it to when I get some much-needed landscaping done this fall so if I do move it, it can wait until winter.

Anyway, it looked kind of bad my first year with it due to the weather being cruddy and it got rusty but this year it's just so darn nice. I think I will take cuttings (my first ever attempt) before trying to move it.

Any idea what this rose is? Here it is before it really started to bloom. If it's easy to find I can skip trying to propagate...

It does look like it's not about to leaf on the woody stems so I'm glad I didn't cut it way back, but I don't suppose there's any way to trim it to be easier to move once it goes semi-dormant?

I like a plant that looks after itself. =)

Here is a link that might be useful: earlier pictures and questions

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Didn't kill my rose yet-what is it &what should I do with it?

It looks like "Butterscotch" or "Buttercup"? I believe Vintage Roses carry this rose? Check out their website.

o

Royal Sunset, or maybe even Brandy, if this is an unusually dark shade of what it usually puts out.

o

I looked for it in my rose books, you have an "Amber Queen", a 1984 Floribunda from Harkness. I hope this posts, it keeps rejecting my follow-ups.

o

That's a climber, definitely, and it appears to be a Royal Sunset. One of Dennison Morey's great climbers from the years when he bred roses for J&P. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Sunset

o

• Posted by fori CA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 15, 12 at 10:44

Thanks for the ideas. I could go crazy with orange roses apparently!

I think I'll have to rule out Amber Queen which does look right but I think this plant has been in the ground longer than the 80s. The previous owner thought it had been in since the greenhouse was installed in the late 50s or early 60s. The classy fence post is newer. :)

What makes a climber a climber instead of something that was pruned funny? Aside from the obvious trunks, this one doesn't put out any long branches. But it's had so much "shaping" I can't tell.

o

Not Butterscotch.
Butterscotch is more brown.

o

Amber Queen was my first thought, but as noted above, it's not a climber. I suspect Royal Sunset, which is a real beauty.

Jeri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here