Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vivian_2010

did my knockout roses die due to the harsh winter?

Hi, I don't post often but have been lurking around and have learned a lot from you. I only have a few knockout roses and use them as focal plants for my perennial gardens. I have 3 red ones for the last 5 years and they bloom from late May all the way to October with minimal care.

This winter we had record breaking cold weather. Even though there was lot of snow but there were times when snow melted then extreme cold weather moved in for days.

So I trimmed the knockout roses in April as in the past. I noticed that most of branches are dead. As of now, only a few tiny new growth started at the base. Almost all branches are dead without new growth. Are they all dead? Should I wait for a few more weeks? They are in the center of the garden so will look really bad and empty without something to replace them.

Any thoughts? Will they grow back or should I go ahead and replace them now?
Thank you!
Vivian

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Vivian,

Since there is growth from the roots they are not dead. The winter has killed all the top growth and you will have to wait until new growth matures. You may or may not have bloom this year.

My knock-outs are in exactly the same position as yours and I am farther south. I don't think mine will do much this year so I am going to plant annuals in front of them for the summer.

Linda

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Linda,

Thanks for the response and information. I am hopeful that they will survive. I can wait for next year for them to bloom again.

Great idea to plant annuals in front of them. Will need something grows fast and tall. I am thinking purple fountain grass. Any recommendations for some fast growing annuals that can be used as focal points in the center of garden?

Thanks again!
    Vivian

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    9 years ago

As someone who lived in zone 4 for many years and regularly pruned roses right down to the ground, don't count out those Knockouts bouncing back with new growth and blooming for you this summer if you keep them fed and watered. I've often seen 3' high blooming roses in late June after starting from soil level in May. They're certainly NOT down for the count.
    Meanwhile, I know you can't bear to look at what's left right now, but be sure you don't cut your Knockouts off from sun and nourishment in the soil by giving them too much competition from fast growing annuals planted too closely to them!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Annececilia and Michaela,

It is so good and encouraging to know that these roses may still be growing (and they are definitely not dead). Similar to you, I have cut off all the dead canes last weekend. I will feed them today and keep them appropriately watered (not an issue with our spring weather so far this year). Hopefully new growth will continue.

My two pink double knockouts (in a different part of the property) are doing fine and there are good new growth already.

I probably will not plant new and tall annuals right next to them so the roses can receive good sun light and nutrients. I am thinking using a couple of pots strategically placed to create some colors needed for the garden while not create competition for the roses.

Thanks for the information and now I am much more hopeful!

Vivian

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

Hopefully you'll see more growth here soon but the fact that you have some at the bottom makes me think they'll be just fine! Mine started at the bottom and have been working their way up. It seemed like once I cut the canes down it started growing much faster, hope you will find that true for you too!

Knock outs are so beautiful.Glad to hear your other knock outs are doing well! Keep us updating on your roses! :)

Michaela

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

I watch several patches of Knockouts in Knoxville TN.

One patch were pruned back to six inches late in 2013. IMO the pruning was way too severe.

Elsewhere in Knoxville, Knockouts are blooming including those that were pruned to 12 to 24 inches.

The severely pruned roses are only JUST NOW beginning to put out growth from the roots.

Extrapolate northward and have a lot of patience.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

I just noticed today when we were at a local church that there 40+ knockouts hardly have any leaves yet. And we are in zone 6a but had a much colder then usual winter also...

So yes its going to take patience this year...

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the information and encouragement. I will try to be patient (never my strength:) and hope for the best. I was just reading an article today saying that stock investors should learn from gardeners: focusing on long term and managing the uncertainty. Well said then.

Vivian

• Roxana *** ZN 5 Indianapolis IN ***
    5 years ago

How did your roses do? I am exactly in the same situation and would like to see what you did :)

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    5 years ago

Roxana,

I just saw your comment. Since so many Knockouts are sold up here what a shame they can’t add something to the tag. Maybe a little note to cold zoners to see a web page with advice. I have had a knockouts for a long time and most folks simply don’t know that they are crown hardy here not cane hardy. Each spring after winter they must be pruned nearly to the ground. Then they will regrow each year to bloom again. This is why most of our roses in the north do not grow as large as roses in warmers climates.