Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngardener123

Can I grow rose cutting from seeds starter?

ngardener123
9 years ago

This is my first time to grow rose. I heard rose could grow from cutting. I cut some stems and sprouts and put them in the seeds starters made of pure peat. I would like to ask if this is ok? Will I get new roses? Thanks a lot!

This post was edited by NGardener123 on Mon, May 12, 14 at 23:33

Comments (13)

• roseseek
    9 years ago

As long as all the other conditions are met, yes, you can root cuttings in peat pellets. Mel Hulse created The Rose Rustler's Tool Kit using his "Baggie Method" of rooting roses many years ago. He put potting soil in the bags so he could see the roots more easily. I altered his method by using the peat pellets you're using because I can see them grow through the pellet sides and remove them from the baggies without disturbing the roots as greatly as you do when they are all in the same ball of soil. I have also used the pellets to raise rose seedlings. So, yes, as long as all the other conditions necessary for them to root are met, you can use them to root roses. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: The Rose Rustler's Tool Kit

• ngardener123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kim, thank you so much for your information. One of the reasons I used the peat pellets is that I can see the roots grow out easily and later can transplant the plants without disturbing the roots. What are the other conditions then?Grace

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Well, they have to have enough humidity to keep from wilting, while not so much they rot. They need enough light to continue producing chlorophyll without being too hot light that will dry them out quickly or burn them. They need it warm enough to push roots but not so warm they're stimulated into growing leaves and flowers instead of roots. They need to be damp enough to prevent them from wilting, but not so damp or wet they rot. All of that you're going to discover as you try rooting them the way you are. Depending on how they respond, you can diagnose what did, or didn't work. Good luck! Kim

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

Peat pellets really supply zilch for nutrition, so keeping that in mind they are good for rooting. They're also good if one of one's mottos is "don't mess with the roots" since everything stays together so well that the roots are minimally disturbed.

You hear people saying to tear off the nylon mesh. Ignore them. It can't stand up to hydraulic roots.

• buford
    9 years ago

I have some roses I want to root. I will be trying the peat pots in the ziploc bags. Thanks for the info!

• vettin
    9 years ago

Kim, is everything else the same as the rose rustlers method with the exception of the peat pellets? E.g. Age of cutting, etc? Thank you

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Yes, everything is the same except you strike them in the pellets instead of just loose soil. You can also use the small peat pots and put seed starter mix in them, then insert them into the bags. I used to trim the foliage back so there weren't large areas laying flat against the plastic as those contact areas are the most prone to rotting.

The conditions I had to use for this method were, the only place I had which received strong light with no direct sun (direct sun on a bagged plant can cook it in a matter of minutes) was on my north facing balcony. I had a large glass terrarium I put on the balcony floor. I put three to four peat pellet planted cuttings per gallon Zip Loc bag, then inflated them by breathing into them as I sealed them so they were like inflated pillows. I then stood them up inside the terrarium like books on a shelf so they supported each other, standing up straight. I had a screen lid for the terrarium (it was created for reptile pets, not mine, but a friend's who tired of them) which prevented squirrels and other rodents from getting in to the bags. That set up worked perfectly in that area. It got hot and remained extremely arid, so the cuttings didn't rot. Attempting that method here in Encino, where evening humidity can rise dramatically, then virtually disappear in the heat of the day, resulted in full scale rotting. I hope it works better for you in yours. Kim

• ngardener123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for the information. I just came back town today. I checked the rose cutting as soon as I walked in the door. One of them is dead. Most of them have leaves wilted or maybe should call rotted because the leaves turned black. Two of them still have green leaves in the center. They have been in the pallets for 5 days. I notice you guys mentioned Ziploc bags. I didn't bag the cuttings in the first place because I didn't know it. Is that the reason why the leaves turned black? I selected the cuttings which look still alive and put them into the bags today. I am not sure if it is too late.

• ngardener123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Forgot to ask if I need seal the bag? Do the cuttings need oxygen?

• buford
    9 years ago

From the link...

Close the bag from both ends toward the middle leaving an inch unclosed. Be sure you do not catch leaflets in the zip grooves. Blow into the bag to expand it like a balloon and zip it up completely. Put the baggie in bright, indirect light preferably inside. Direct sun will scorch and kill the cuttings.

Most of the care needed is an occasional bag reinflation. The bag provides the complete humid environment the cuttings need - a mini greenhouse. Don't worry if some of the original leaves turn yellow and drop so long as the cane is green. Remove the dead leaflets and any mushrooms or fungus. If the soil cracks at the cane, gently move soil into the crack and firm it in place. Blow the bag up with air and seal and place in indirect lightThe skewers are great tools for this. Give the inside of the bag several shots out of your spray bottle before reinflating the bag. Some of these dummies think they should bloom in the bag!!!! Watch carefully for buds and nip them immediately. If you don't, you may lose the rose or set it back months. As long as the cutting cane is green, any of the original leaflets or new growth are still alive, or roots are apparent and vital, your rose is alive. Don't despair!

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

Something we found very useful was an 'inflater'. If you take apart a cheap ballpoint pen, you end up with a hard plastic tube. Close the baggie around the tube, blow into the tube, then pull the tube out with your teeth while closing the rest of the baggie with your hands. I never did get the hang of closing the baggie any other way.

Dont' be too disappointed if none of these cuttings take. The usual cuttings are from stems that have blooms on them. So prime rooting season in the north is June.

• buford
    9 years ago

{{gwi:281865}}

I just bought this little 'greenhouse' of peat pelletts. I am going to use it to start some cuttings. It's small, so I will have to cut the canes shorter than usual. But worth a shot.

• ngardener123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks a lot Buford, for the detailed information. I followed your instruction and let's see what will happen.
    There is an interesting finding today, when I was transferring one of my bare root roses, I found one cane which is in "check" shape got new root on the lowest part. Because I buried the rose too deep, the lowest part of the cane and bud joint were buried inside the soil. I guess if I separate the cane from the plant, I will get a new rose. This cane is a new sprout that started after I planted the whole thing in a pot. Therefore, I thought a new way to propagate rose. Burying part of a sprout into the soil without cutting it off and let it root underneath. This way, there is no need for covers and peat pellets.