Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roserich

HELP! Super strange foliage

Hi. Can anyone tell me what is going on with my Crepuscule foliage? Reminds me of an autumn Maple leaf....
Yikes!
Susan

Comments (14)

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Hi Susan, could be weather related combined with nutrient deficiency. How long has it been since you fed the plant? Kim

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kim I don't think I've fertilized it yet this year. Been growing it in a pot. I think it is ready to go into the ground. Would fish emulsion/seaweed be good or should I break out the big guns and go with the Mill's Magic?
    It's growing nicely....
    Susan

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Hi Susan, it's probably in need of more than fish emulsion alone can provide. It definitely appears to be lacking nitrogen, but there may be other nutrients and micro nutrients that could help it. Why not use both fish emulsion and Mills Magic? I'd cut back on both just a skosh and apply them after a thorough watering. Both are organic, so as long as they're applied properly, they couldn't hurt! Good luck! Kim

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I will make a weak potion today. I appreciate the guidance.
    Susan

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Whatever it is all of my crop of seedlings from this season have it too. They're all still in the little greenhouse outside because we're still having cold nights and frost warnings. I sort of chalked it up to the diminished sunlight they get in there. And sometimes it gets TOO hot inside as well if I don't get out early enough on very sunny days to open it up. I've noticed that a lot of them are starting to outgrow it now that the temps are getting a little bit warmer at night.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

I think it's extreme iron-deficiency chlorosis. Maybe something was dumped there, making the soil alkaline. Or cold, saturated soil can cause it. If you haven't fertilized, Miracid would be a good choice, as it has lots of iron and nitrogen. Don't overdo. It will take a while, but plants usually grow out of this condition. I would check the pH though.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks you all! Michael, can you recommend a way to check pH? I purchased a meter that is "junk".
    Likely it is cold saturated soil. Today I gave 1/2 strength Mills Feed:
    "It is a combination of Epsom Salts, sequestrine chelated iron, soluble seaweed extract, fish solubles, urea and other fertilizers suspended in water. NPK analysis is 14-6-4."
    If this doesn't help I will post again.
    Thanks again.
    Susan

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Michael, well the cold saturated soil makes perfect sense! Thanks!

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Yes, the "cold, saturated soil" makes perfect sense. Soil bacteria are pretty dormant below seventy degrees soil temps at the surface. I'll bet you may have what's needed there already, but the soil temps are preventing what's needed from being available. I'll also bet the rose will look significantly improved with a bit more soil heat. Kim

• michaelg
    9 years ago

My 'Marie Pavie' used to do this nearly every spring.

Susan, the chelated iron in Mills Feed should help some, but again, it can take a long time. Check the new leaves as they appear for improvement. The old ones should eventually improve.

I use a Rapi-Test meter that is 20 years old.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Michael, should I get some chelated iron? Having a helluva time finding that here. I can find everything BUT that.
    Should I take it out of the pot and put into its forever home? Repot it?
    Sit and be patient and watch and let it be?
    The hardest part is just letting it be...
    : )

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I think most roses do better in a garden home.

Other than that, you know the answer--patience. : )

Kate

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Yes, patience. You've already applied some chelated iron in the fertilizer. I wouldn't buy it because you'll probably overdo it. But it should be on most garden counters. Don't look for "iron" in the name--it will be named GREENsomething or somethingGREEN.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

We have a couple small roses here in the ground doing it... The ground here is still wet & cold so I'm going to wait...