Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CL Rose w/no buds

Posted by bellarosa z4-5/IL (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 23:07

Hi everyone,
I have a rose, a climber, I think it's called, "Jazz". I fertilized this rose once in April and it's grown incredibly tall, but no buds, not a one. :-(

What could be wrong? I fertilized it with Magic Mills in late April. It is partially shaded and it faces East, so it gets the afternoon sun.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I have another rose, Colette, that's loaded with buds and she's planted a few feet away.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CL Rose w/no buds

Sometimes climbing roses get busy growing, but don't bloom until they have achieved some height. I would STOP giving it nitrogen fertilizer. There are types of fertilizer (usually BLOOM is in the name) designed to encourage flowers, not growth. I would use that the next time it is time to fertilize this rose, and wait. It will bloom in its own time.

Jackie

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 7, 12 at 11:55

Yes, there is a climber named Jazz or That's Jazz. What does the growth at the tip of the canes look like? Are there several sprouts coming out at the tip? It may be blind growth. I would snip off the tips and see if it will grow and set blooms then. The other cause may be not enough sun. Roses will grow fine but will not bloom well if they don't get enough sun.

o

Thank you both for the info. I'll have to check my rose again. She bloomed last year with just three little blooms and this year, she has put out so much growth, it's amazing. I'll have to see if there's any blind growth and report back. Thanks again!

o

Climbers take awhile to establish themselves. Many won't bloom except on old wood - that means 2nd year of growth, at least. Then too, many will only bloom from horizontal canes - not vertical. Once established, though, look out! ;-)

o

Was this a grafted rose and have you considered it may be Dr. Huey Root stock growing? This would account for no buds and vigorous growth.

o

BTW, I would not be concerned about the "fertilizer" you used - Mills Magic Mix. It's the right treatment for weak roses. Mills Magic Mix is an organic and will not burn roses. (It may pucker leaves under the right conditions, but that's the extent of it.)

o

Karl,

This is a rose I purchased around 2 or 3 years ago from Pickering Nurseries. It is a grafted rose - I think that's all they sell at Pickering. Not sure why it's not blooming. The leaves look very healthy, although some of them are puckering a little. I'll have to post a pic.

o

If from Pickering, it's grafted on Multiflora. They use multiflora for the majority of their grafted roses. Multiflora can sucker also and the suckers will be as vigorous as Dr. Huey. Multiflora is also a once yearly bloomer which only blooms on 2nd year wood. It has clusters of small white single flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here