Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chamblee's Rose Nursery Trip

Posted by JoshTx 8a (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 23:11

Made the trek out to Chamblee's today to pick up some late season DA roses. They're the closest nursery that carries them for me. I spent an hour in the DA section alone probably, and must have made 60 laps around that greenhouse area before settling for 4 plants. I could not decide which ones to get.

I finally settled for 2 Ambridge Rose (been lusting after this one for years!), a Charlotte, and a Wildeve.

Can anyone tell me what their experiences have been with any of these plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chamblee's Rose Nursery Trip

Ambridge has been my best DA so far and the color is wonderful how it varies depending on weather. This rose repeats so well for me. Charlotte is a good one too and can be grown tall or kept shorter. The light yellow color is beautiful. I think you will enjoy both of them.

o

That is good to hear! The plants are only 1 gallons, so I will have to give it a year or two before I will be able to see their full potential.

o

Anyone else have experience growing these?

o

Josh,

I ordered Ambridge Rose and Charlotte from Chamblees around 3 years ago. There were 5 rooted cuttings of AR in a single gallon pot and 2 rooted cuttings of Charlotte in the other. We have found that many plant propagators in Texas put more than a single rooted cuttings into their pots.

We removed the rootball from the pot and soaked them in a 5 gallon bucket of water and swished them around a bit. We were able to separate the individual plants and put each of the (5 AR and 2 C) into their own one-gallon pots. We let them remain in their pots for around 2 months then transplanted them into the garden.

Plants of both varieties have done very well in our garden. The AR grew into bushy plants around 3 feet high and 2 feet across. If you prune only lightly in spring, you can coax the the plant to grow up to 5 feet high in my area. The flowers are very fragrant and are around 3.5 inches across. The color seems to vary from pink to apricot depending on temperature.

The plants of Charlotte are larger, perhaps 4 feet x 4 feet, but again, if you prune the plant only lightly, you can get it to grow taller. The flowers are pale yellow and fade to nearly white in the strong summer sun.

I have only minor disease problems with these 2 roses if we have a rainy late spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here