Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aggierose_gw

Pictures of what I think is RDD...

aggierose
15 years ago

{{gwi:282084}}
Picture of new growth on my velvet fragrance. The leaves are curled and not formed right. You can't see the thorns, but they are all rubbery.

{{gwi:282086}}
More pictures of vf

{{gwi:282088}}
More pics of vf.

{{gwi:282090}}
A better picture of the leaves curling.

{{gwi:282092}}
A picture of the deep red with slight yellowing/greenish color.

{{gwi:282093}}
This is my double delight. The bush looks fine, except this one cane. You can tell that this cane looks like it is wilting, as if it hasn't been watered. it has gotten plenty or water.There is a bud at the top that is curled over. The stem is not flexible. If I tried to straighten it the stem would break.

{{gwi:282095}}
Healthy growth on vf.

{{gwi:282096}}
Another picture of VF and the curled growth.

What do you think? Is this RDD? If not, what else would it be? What should I do to fix this?

Comments (18)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

Ann is the RRD expert. I don't see RRD here, but others would have to verify. This looks like 90% of my garden now.

I have to say that new growth is often flexible and red. Flexible because it hasn't hardened off and red because it hasn't been exposed to sunlight. But, many roses usually have red foliage. Conundrum is almost always has burgundy stems and leaves. Leaves might be stunted or curled due to weather. It doesn't need to be fixed, it grows out of it.

• aggierose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Diane, thanks for the response. I really don't think these pictures show how bad it looks. My roses always grow out red, (I wasn't really concerned about the color)but I have never seen growth like this before. All of the leaves are curled up and just not shaped right. A lot of the sepals are curled too. I have also never seen all the thorns on the new growth. And as much as I like that the thorns are soft, I have never seen that either. I hope you're right, but this just looks completely different than what they have looked like in the past.

• the_morden_man
    15 years ago

Nice, new, perfectly healthy growth and i see there are flower buds also that are formingon this growth. Congrats, the roses look great and this is not RRD. There is a very slight possibility of the 1st signs of PM forming on this new growth, but i don't believe this is the case either from looking at the pics.

• aggierose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gosh I can't tell you how badly I want to find out my roses are healthy!! So far the news is good!! Now, if this is healthy growth why are the leaves so curled up? Why are the thorns soft and rubbery? Why are there more thorns on the new growth than the old growth? What about the one cane that appears to be wilting with the bud that is hanging down? Are these things that happen and I just haven't ever seen them since this is just my second year growing roses? They all grew like crazy in March after I pruned them and none of the new growth then looked like this new growth. In person, this growth is not pretty at all. In march, the new growth was beautiful. Could the weather cause this? Sorry for all the questions. I really want to learn how to properly take care of all my roses. I appreciate all the advice I get here!

• jont1
    15 years ago

It certainly doesn't appear to be like the RRD that I had on a couple of floribundas in my garden a couple of years ago. This isn't near ugly enough to be that. That should be good news.
    John

• buford
    15 years ago

New spring growth is susceptible to cold temps and other factors and often looks 'weird'. But nothing I see there looks like RRD.

• solicitr
    15 years ago

The deformed leaves look a lot like mildew damage- there's a lot of that in the southeast this year thanks to the cool wet spring- even my *rugosas* got a touch of it.

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

Something's wrong but it's not RRD wrong.
    Watch for those bent necks. Sometimes it's not a serious continuing problem. (But read the thread on midge and look at the links there).
    There's a discoloration in the leaves that may be related to something that happened to the roots but it should correct itself. That's the nice thing about roses: their growth should be predictable. And we can compare amongst ourselves here as to what looks normal and what isn't right.

• aggierose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Does anyone know if I should cut off the growth that looks bad?

• athenainwi
    15 years ago

RRD usually looks much worse than that. I'd probably leave it alone and see if the plant recovers once the temperatures warm up.

• aggierose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Is there anything I can do to find out exactly what this is? I have seen a few people mention to let the weather warm up, but I'm in Tx! It's been warn here for a long time. Yesterday my car tempature gauge showed 102 degrees. My roses were beautiful back in March when it was really wet and much cooler. I would like to take a cutting to a nursery, but I don't really trust the people at most nurseries. I did find that the monthly Dallas Rose Society meeting is tomorrow and they will have lots of rosarians there. Can I trust that these people could tell me what the problem is?

• rosetom
    15 years ago

Stop obsessing about it! ;-) Those photos are great! Blood-red growth sprouting so fast that the leaves don't have time to uncurl - happens a lot in Spring with good soil and a strong, healthy rose. The bigger the leaf is going to be, the more the curl in the beginning. It'll look great in no time - IMHO, it looks great now.

Chill out!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

Since I've already said that my yard looks like this and I'm not doing anything, I don't know what to tell you. I don't think you should be in a panic. Roses do odd things in cold and in hot hot weather.

The one with the bent neck, if there is a burned looking mark on the neck, then that is midge damage. If there is not, then just sometimes some plants do this, no rhyme, no reason. Whether it is something in how water is being taken up or some disturbance in the growth pattern (for example, sudden change from cool to hot or a lot of rain), I do not know. Make sure that they are getting adequate water, watering deeply.

I think you should just let it grow out.

• diggerdave
    15 years ago

What Tom and Diane said!! Don't see any herbicide damage either.

• aggierose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone! Hopefully they are just growing too fast to keep up with themselves due to all of the good things I have done for them! I'll let them be, and try to stop thinking about it! They definitely don't look like they ever have before, but maybe they are just healthier now. I did just take a cutting to a local nursery and asked if he thought anything was wrong with it. He said "Yes, there is a problem. This is damage from some spray getting on them that shouldn't have". I guess time will tell. I'll let them grow and see what happens.

Thanks again!

• len511
    15 years ago

aggie, i think with all the drought in the past several years, there's probably no one that remembers what a good year looks like! put on your rose colored glasses and enjoy! they are beautiful and growing splendidly.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

This is JMHO, and worth exactly what it costs anyone to read it, which is nothing. But, I have in the past seen my roses look like yours. One, in particular I recall was Westerland. A CR and professor of horticulture who came to evaluate my garden (actually, to schlep any roses for budding and grafting, seeding, etc) told me I had that rose too close to the wall and it was not able to take up ample nutrients and water. I asked him how did he know that. His answer was "just based on my experience, looking at the foliage and seeing that you do have it less than a foot from the wall."

• aggierose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Interesting Patricia! Maybe that is causing problems. Unfortunatley I can't do anything about it though. The only place in my yard that gets enough sun for roses is the small strip of land between my driveway and my neighbors 8' wooden fence. Hopefully they will be fine!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!