Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I keep my one-branch rose?

Posted by organic_sumac (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 23:23

My first rose-growing spring!

Last year I mail-ordered a Westerland rose, along with another type that's doing well. I treated them both as directed, but of the three short branches that were protruding from the Westerland's original root, only one had any growth last year or this year.

This year the single branch is producing one cane with several offshoots (I'm not sure if these are the right terms!) but the other two branches are clearly dead. The plant is only a foot tall overall.

Will it still grow to a full size? Or does it not have an adequate base to start from?

Thanks!

Sarah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I keep my one-branch rose?

I had a one cane Westerland two years ago. I dug out from under it and buried the lower portion of the one cane. Evidently it went own root, because several new canes grew from below the surface. I now have a bush with several canes.

o

Westerland is a vigorous rose. I'd keep it. Instead of replanting it, you can also add more soil to bury the bud union. This is actually preferred if you have drainage issues like we do.

o

Cut off the dead canes flush with the bud union - the lumpy part from which the canes are growing at the base - don't leave any "stumps". Make sure that there are no weeds or other plants growing within 18 inches of the base of the rose. Then, I would get some rose food at the nursery, and just follow the directions to feed it (make sure it is just fertilizer - no poisons for bugs). Assuming it is growing in the sun, it should start making more growth, and eventually it will produce more canes from the base. You will have to be patient and wait, but it will.

Jackie

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, May 8, 12 at 10:16

And be patient. Climbers take 3 or more years to mature and climb. This being only a second year plant may not do a lot this season but should do much better next year.

o

Sometimes I have been known to cut off all BUT one branch of a climber like that, and made it into a rose tree. You do that by staking or tipping the whole plant so your one branch goes where you want it to go, and then removing all thorns and growth shoots below where you want the crown of the tree to form.

It does work, but takes 3-4 years of doing that to get a "tree" looking plant. I've only tried it with climbers.

o

Thanks very much for all the advice! I've reburied, fed, and mulched it today, and will be patient...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here