Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning to delay blooming a little????

Posted by lola-lemon none (My Page) on
Fri, May 4, 12 at 23:26

My roses are ahead of schedule this year- tiny buds have already appeared on a few, but the largest buds are not even the size of peas.
I will be out of town for the rest of this month and am worried they might bloom thheir big flush while i'm gone. My hubby has no interest in the blooms so they'd be wasted! i am considering pruning my roses back - to delay the big flush on my English roses, especially.
Would this work ok, or am i missing something? I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and insure no big flush this year.
My Gertrude jekyll hasnt filled out very well anyway with most of her growth at her tips and i'd like her to fill in.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning to delay blooming a little????

I did it to one of my Crown Princess Margs for different reasons (to try to get it to grow a little more height) It grew canes about 6" then flowered. Not what I wanted, but would probably be ok for you. Wouldn't do it on a big scale I don't think. I would be worried about getting a crappy display.

o

Sure, you will get blooms 40-50 days after pruning or pinching back. Exhibitors do this constantly to get flowers for a show date.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 5, 12 at 12:41

Michael is right. I gave some of mine a second prune the last couple of weeks to try and time the blooms for my shows in mid-June.

o

I disbud all of my roses every spring to keep the rose curculios from breeding in my garden. I allow the roses to bud out until I see the first curculio, but now I get part of the first flush, whereas in prior years all of the blooms were damaged and the curculio infestation just got worse.

As soon as I see the first curculio and then I disbud the garden. I disbud the whole garden and continue to disbud throughout the curculio season above ground. What would normally be my second flush, turns into my first flush and is far more prolific because roses have a mandate to bloom and most of them over-compensate because they have not been allowed to perform in their normal cycle.

Until I started this practice, I had thought I had to give up on growing roses, but it's turned out to be a very rewarding method of managing a dang bud that was destroying my garden.

Smiles,
Lyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here