Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetogrowflowers

Just planted a 2 gallon knockout rose. Have question.

I always seem to mess up when I'm trying to be so careful. I dug my hole, mixed in some good potting soil with native soil, a little bone meal. So as I was backfilling, I noticed that it wasn't sitting like I wanted it. I dug up some of the soil, thought I had dug enough, :-( and turned it......guess what?

I heard a tearing sound. Like maybe the bottom didn't turn with the rest, :-( and I literally, just an hour ago 10pm, lmbo put it in the ground. I get something on my mind and I have to do it.

So, I'm thinking the roots probably shifted. I'm new to gardening and thinking that it's $15 down the drain, that I've probably killed it. I'm already wanting to dig it up and put a new one there.

But before I do that I wanted to ask, if indeed the roots did shift, what can I expect to see as far as the rose goes, damage wise, or drooping, discoloration, etc, anything? This is the first rose if ever purchased and I feel like I did a great job, nice place I chose, good sized hole, but messed up and caused the roots to shift, by trying to turn it.

What, if any damage have I caused, and what should I do to correct it? Will I notice any signs by looking at the plant in the days to come? How long till those feeder roots grow back, and what should I look for and or do should I see any signs of shock?

Thank you all so very much.

Comments (3)