Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just planted a 2 gallon knockout rose. Have question.

Posted by lovetogrowflowers 8 (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 14 at 23:27

I always seem to mess up when I'm trying to be so careful. I dug my hole, mixed in some good potting soil with native soil, a little bone meal. So as I was backfilling, I noticed that it wasn't sitting like I wanted it. I dug up some of the soil, thought I had dug enough, :-( and turned it......guess what?

I heard a tearing sound. Like maybe the bottom didn't turn with the rest, :-( and I literally, just an hour ago 10pm, lmbo put it in the ground. I get something on my mind and I have to do it.

So, I'm thinking the roots probably shifted. I'm new to gardening and thinking that it's $15 down the drain, that I've probably killed it. I'm already wanting to dig it up and put a new one there.

But before I do that I wanted to ask, if indeed the roots did shift, what can I expect to see as far as the rose goes, damage wise, or drooping, discoloration, etc, anything? This is the first rose if ever purchased and I feel like I did a great job, nice place I chose, good sized hole, but messed up and caused the roots to shift, by trying to turn it.

What, if any damage have I caused, and what should I do to correct it? Will I notice any signs by looking at the plant in the days to come? How long till those feeder roots grow back, and what should I look for and or do should I see any signs of shock?

Thank you all so very much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just planted a 2 gallon knockout rose. Have question.

Don't stress. I'm not quite understanding what you heard, but if you did damage the root system some its likely it will just be a bit slower getting settled. Keep it watered, but don't overwater make sure the area is draining well, and I would suggest some kind of a mulch to keep moisture from escaping long term. If anything I would suspect a bit of wilting but thats just a guess, I'm betting on it being just fine.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 19, 14 at 10:30

It'll be fine. Some rose producers ship out roses called bare roots and those are just the thicker roots with none of the small feeder roots attached. The roses still survive. As mzstitch said, it will just take it a while to regrow any roots it lost so it may not show much growth up top for a bit. But they catch up quick and I'm sure your's will be growing again in no time!

o

Keep an eye on the rose. If it starts wilting, make sure the soil is drenched and consider chopping off much of the top growth. Better to lose some growth than the entire rose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here