Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for Lady Hillingdon Cl Rose-can't find it

Posted by KingCobb none (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 23:31

I have seen gorgeous picks and read great reviews of this rose. However I cannot find it for sale in the US. Any suggestions where to find this old tea rose.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for Lady Hillingdon Cl Rose-can't find it

Have you checked HelpMeFind Roses?

Jeri

o

ARE usually stocks it but lists it as out now, Roses Unlimited has it listed--don't know if it's in stock. Rogue Valley & Burling surely stock it.

It's a popular ogr--deservedly so--it IS a beauty.

o

• Posted by catspa NoCA Z9 Sunset 14 (My Page) on
    Mon, May 6, 13 at 8:20

If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, Annie's Annuals intermittently has it. They had a couple of gallon plants of it out on the tables at their growing grounds in Richmond a couple of weeks ago when I was there. But, it's not listed on their web site as available by mail.

I see RVR has bands of their LH listed as in stock, which either they "suspect" is the climber, or that there is not a difference between the climber and the shrub?! Their blurb seems equivocal.

o

Yeah I tried help me find and all the domestic places are out or don't carry it anymore. I was surprised it is so easy to find in Europe but none of them ship it to the US.

o

• Posted by subk3 7a/Mid TN (My Page) on
    Mon, May 6, 13 at 14:49

I saw it on Long Ago Roses' list recently.

Here is a link that might be useful: Long Ago Roses

o

Judging by the ability to find the Lady Hilllingdon Rose as opposed to Cl Lady Hillingdon, as well as things I have read on this forum and other nursery websites, I ordered a plain Lady Hillingdon rose from nearby Antique Rose Emporium and will see if it grows to be a climber on its own or if there is no true difference between the CL variety and non CL variety as Rogue Nursery and several other rosarian experiences seem to suggest.

o

Wasn't there a recent discussion that the climber is a better bloomer? I think maybe it was on antiques. There must be some difference since several posters thought the climber a more prolific bloomer.

o

I read one talking about it being a better bloomer if you grow it as a climber as opposed to a bush.

o

Well after looking for it to be available somewhere all this year I finally bit the bullet and just went with a custom root from Vintage. Yeah its expensive for that small of a plant, but I will finally have it. I did manage to acquire the bush version from ARE and it is growing well, but I really wanted the climber version.

Its a little late for planting a rose but I have planted them into November in the past down here on the Upper Texas Coast. Heck two years ago I planted a Belinda's Dream in Wichita Falls, Tx, for my inlaws the week of Thanksgiving.

o

I'm surprised you were able to get a custom root from Vintage since they're in the process of closing down their operation, and from what I understand custom root takes well over a year.

Having grown both LH and Cl. LH I can say categorically that the two are very different. LH never did too well for me but Cl. LH is much more vigorous and can get quite tall. It's really a wonderful rose. I'm surprised that a nursery wouldn't know the difference between the two.

Ingrid

o

Well, in my excitement to order it, I overlooked two things, one I forgot they were closing and two I stupidly didn't realize it would take a year to do a custom rooting.

I placed the order on their website, so not sure if they are still filling orders or just haven't turned off the website.

I have called their phone number and sent them an email. Answering machine still picks up but no response yet.

Am gonna try to cancel the order and just keep looking, I totally blanked on it taking a year to custom root. I should be able to find a Cl Lady H by then.

o

I purchased a CL Lady H from Roses Unlimited earlier this summer. RU is a fine establishment.
You may call and ask them what they have available. You may have to wait until spring to get it.
Susan

o

The Aussie women who wrote that impressive book, "Tea Roses -- Old Roses for Warm Gardens" (2008), differentiate between a bush form and a climbing form of 'Lady Hillingdon'. The climbing form they describe as vigorous, but not a rampant climber whose " . . . arching canes steadily and quietly achieve considerable height and breadth."

As is true with other varieties, 'Lady Hillingdon, Cl' may be readily available in Australia and/or elsewhere, but not in the U.S. I was unaware of questions about whether two distinct forms of this rose exist.

o

Main thing I have seen regarding that was from Rogue Nursery. Lady Hillingdon Cl. it seems is available early in the spring, it just isn't going to be found much later than that.

o

You might try calling or e-mailing Burling at Burlington roses to see whether she would root one for you. She can root just about anything and if she has a mother plant it's very possible she'll help you out. I know she rooted a bunch of Annie Laurie McDonnell climbing roses (I have one of them) for interested buyers and had a waiting list for this rose before too long. The same thing could happen with the very desirable Cl. Lady Hillingdon. Judging by the size of the one described by Rogue Valley Nursery, I have the feeling that they have the climbing one too.

Ingrid

o

Roses unlimited will have them in the spring. So I will just wait and order one from them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here