Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kingcobbtx7b

Looking for Lady Hillingdon Cl Rose-can't find it

kingcobbtx7b
10 years ago

I have seen gorgeous picks and read great reviews of this rose. However I cannot find it for sale in the US. Any suggestions where to find this old tea rose.

Comments (21)

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Have you checked HelpMeFind Roses?

Jeri

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

ARE usually stocks it but lists it as out now, Roses Unlimited has it listed--don't know if it's in stock. Rogue Valley & Burling surely stock it.

It's a popular ogr--deservedly so--it IS a beauty.

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    10 years ago

If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, Annie's Annuals intermittently has it. They had a couple of gallon plants of it out on the tables at their growing grounds in Richmond a couple of weeks ago when I was there. But, it's not listed on their web site as available by mail.

I see RVR has bands of their LH listed as in stock, which either they "suspect" is the climber, or that there is not a difference between the climber and the shrub?! Their blurb seems equivocal.

• kingcobbtx7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah I tried help me find and all the domestic places are out or don't carry it anymore. I was surprised it is so easy to find in Europe but none of them ship it to the US.

• subk3
    10 years ago

I saw it on Long Ago Roses' list recently.

Here is a link that might be useful: Long Ago Roses

• kingcobbtx7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Judging by the ability to find the Lady Hilllingdon Rose as opposed to Cl Lady Hillingdon, as well as things I have read on this forum and other nursery websites, I ordered a plain Lady Hillingdon rose from nearby Antique Rose Emporium and will see if it grows to be a climber on its own or if there is no true difference between the CL variety and non CL variety as Rogue Nursery and several other rosarian experiences seem to suggest.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Wasn't there a recent discussion that the climber is a better bloomer? I think maybe it was on antiques. There must be some difference since several posters thought the climber a more prolific bloomer.

• kingcobbtx7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I read one talking about it being a better bloomer if you grow it as a climber as opposed to a bush.

• kingcobbtx7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well after looking for it to be available somewhere all this year I finally bit the bullet and just went with a custom root from Vintage. Yeah its expensive for that small of a plant, but I will finally have it. I did manage to acquire the bush version from ARE and it is growing well, but I really wanted the climber version.

Its a little late for planting a rose but I have planted them into November in the past down here on the Upper Texas Coast. Heck two years ago I planted a Belinda's Dream in Wichita Falls, Tx, for my inlaws the week of Thanksgiving.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I'm surprised you were able to get a custom root from Vintage since they're in the process of closing down their operation, and from what I understand custom root takes well over a year.

Having grown both LH and Cl. LH I can say categorically that the two are very different. LH never did too well for me but Cl. LH is much more vigorous and can get quite tall. It's really a wonderful rose. I'm surprised that a nursery wouldn't know the difference between the two.

Ingrid

• kingcobbtx7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, in my excitement to order it, I overlooked two things, one I forgot they were closing and two I stupidly didn't realize it would take a year to do a custom rooting.

I placed the order on their website, so not sure if they are still filling orders or just haven't turned off the website.

I have called their phone number and sent them an email. Answering machine still picks up but no response yet.

Am gonna try to cancel the order and just keep looking, I totally blanked on it taking a year to custom root. I should be able to find a Cl Lady H by then.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

I purchased a CL Lady H from Roses Unlimited earlier this summer. RU is a fine establishment.
    You may call and ask them what they have available. You may have to wait until spring to get it.
    Susan

• windeaux
    10 years ago

The Aussie women who wrote that impressive book, "Tea Roses -- Old Roses for Warm Gardens" (2008), differentiate between a bush form and a climbing form of 'Lady Hillingdon'. The climbing form they describe as vigorous, but not a rampant climber whose " . . . arching canes steadily and quietly achieve considerable height and breadth."

As is true with other varieties, 'Lady Hillingdon, Cl' may be readily available in Australia and/or elsewhere, but not in the U.S. I was unaware of questions about whether two distinct forms of this rose exist.

• kingcobbtx7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Main thing I have seen regarding that was from Rogue Nursery. Lady Hillingdon Cl. it seems is available early in the spring, it just isn't going to be found much later than that.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

You might try calling or e-mailing Burling at Burlington roses to see whether she would root one for you. She can root just about anything and if she has a mother plant it's very possible she'll help you out. I know she rooted a bunch of Annie Laurie McDonnell climbing roses (I have one of them) for interested buyers and had a waiting list for this rose before too long. The same thing could happen with the very desirable Cl. Lady Hillingdon. Judging by the size of the one described by Rogue Valley Nursery, I have the feeling that they have the climbing one too.

Ingrid

• kingcobbtx7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Roses unlimited will have them in the spring. So I will just wait and order one from them.

• kingcobbtx7b
    Original Author
    6 years ago

There is a definite difference between the two. Not only is the climber more vigorous, but since moving up to a colder climate it also appears to be more cold tolerant.

• purilisaVA-zone7
    6 years ago

Rose petal nursery (contact them, it shows out of stock for now but they propogate one for you) and burlington has it.

http://rosepetalsnursery.com/all-roses.php

• Deborah lippitt
    5 years ago

I got it Rogue Valley Roses..they weren't sure if bush or climber but have since heard from them and it's a climber..I need more pergolas I love climbing roses!!

• purilisaVA-zone7
    5 years ago

Deborah what zone are you in. I ask because I am in zone 7 and the tea that i have - brabant -pretty much died all the way to the stump which only survived because I piled hay on top. I love lady Hillingdon but she's also a tea. I am afraid, I might lose her if she's planted outside.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource