Houzz Logo Print
jbradshaw777

What is this insect?

jbradshaw777
11 years ago

Hi,

Anybody know what this insect is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77626826@N06/7174523236/

I see them frequently on my rose blooms. They are swarming the bush. But I do see them frequently. Are they good or bad for the roses?

Comments (16)

• petaloid
    11 years ago

I'll put a link below, so it is easier to see. (I don't think it's harmful, but others may know more):

Here is a link that might be useful: Jbradshaw's mystery bug

• jbradshaw777
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks!
    I meant to say 'they are NOT swarming the bushes', but I do see them frequently.

• betsyw
    11 years ago

Might it be a so-called ground cricket, one of the tiny crickets commonly found in Spring? If so, no worries for the roses. Just a guess.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ground Cricket

• jbradshaw777
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Doesn't look like a ground cricket, from the images I saw on the Internet. These guys are tinier and their body much slenderer. They seem to be drawn to the flowers, that's where I usually see them.

• ilovemyroses
    11 years ago

I have them too. Six legs, and green, that fresh green like an aphid. Delicate. I hate smooshing an unknown critter, but then again, with all the ruined buds I get, I wonder.

• michaelg
    11 years ago

We need a larger image with stronger light.

Generally, if they are eating the plant, you see damage nearby. Highly mobile insects, such as these appear to be, are more likely to be predators than plant-eaters. There are also neutrals such as soldier beetles. These hang out on the flowers, eating pollen and looking for love.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I don't know what it is, but I think this is a larger picture of the same insect. I see them off and on, but never in great numbers, and I've never noticed any damage that they might have caused. Here it's shown inside the flower of an esperanza.

{{gwi:282342}}

Hopefully it eats thrips ... :-)

• Merilia
    11 years ago

Whatever it is, that's a fantastic photograph, Roselee! Also, it's cute, so I hope it's not harmful! :D

• jbradshaw777
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, this one looks like the ones I saw on my roses. Looks good enough to eat. lol
    Did you know some people are promoting eating insects, since they are plentiful and usually more nutritious than, say, cows or pigs? Worms, bugs, roaches, all edible when done properly. Think I am gonna go puke for a while...

• kstrong
    11 years ago

Looks like a katydid nymph.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

The picture was posted on the insect forum. When there is an ID I'll let you know.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I think it's a baby katydid. They eat roses.
    Renee

• roseseek
    11 years ago

It resembles a Katydid nymph. Take a look below. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Katydid

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    11 years ago

I never noticed katydids dining on my roses. They mostly seemed to be the main course.

{{gwi:232169}}

• michaelg
    11 years ago

Katydid nymphs and adults are very destructive pests in my garden. They feed on rosebuds, shearing the top or side off as though cut with a knife.

That's an adult katydid being eaten in Harry's great picture, They are 2" long with wings that imitate leaves, not seen until mid- to late summer. The OP's picture could be a nymph (immature wingless stage), or maybe not. The ones around here look like skinny grasshoppers, green with some reddish markings, without the speckled legs. There are various species.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

The first reply from the Insect Forum:

"It can be difficult to ID something from an image taken at an odd angle. I'm going to say that this is a nymph (youngster) of one of the katydid species, and then you can take it from there." from: rhizo_1

The insect I photographed does not appear to have the very long back legs like grasshoppers and katydids or I would have thought 'grasshopper from the start. I'm hoping to see another one to double check on whether this is the case or a quirk of my memory, plus take a better picture.

Since I haven't noticed any damage I'm not killing it if I see it. I happen to enjoy seeing bugs in the garden -- other than thrips and flower beetles that is :-)