Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandandsun_gw

The List

sandandsun
10 years ago

I completely agree with Brad Jalbert's must have list - see link below.
Has anyone got 'em all?
Select Roses has them all "own root," but of course, they don't do mail order. And even if they did, there's no assurance they'd ship to the US.
So the second question is: do you have all of them own root in your garden?
The honest yes answer is guaranteed to make me green in a shade unlike good thumbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: New at Select Roses this Spring

Comments (14)

• clorpt
    10 years ago

Don't have them all
    but I am going in there next week.
    !!
    I love going into Select Roses. A little bit of an overload for a rose lover, but very fun. I limit myself to three new ones each trip.

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

clorpt,

So, next week you might have them all! I am very happy about your local good fortune. I hope the ones you don't have will be in stock. Will all of yours be on their own roots?

• clorpt
    10 years ago

I have sought after more own root roses the last few years. I like the way they make more canes then the grafted varieties and seem to have a heartier or more robust structure and leafing once they are established. I think the appearance of healthy foliage is important to the garden aesthetics. In fact I have come to really value the appearance of a rose "bush" when it isn't in flower.
    But when I buy, I still seem to get infatuated with a particularly pretty or fragrant flower. But isn't that what it is all about?

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Your points are quite valid, clorpt.
    Plus, all that appearance and structure is, after all, the "assembly line" for flowers.
    The list is composed of some of the most modern examples of health. Of course, they have not been tested in the various climates, but healthier plants have better odds anywhere because they are better equipped.
    I hope that whichever roses you choose will in time sate your infatuation.
    And please, keep us informed about them!

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does anyone have all of them own root? I still do not.

Does anyone have them all now?

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

Well, at one point I had all four of them in my yard, three of them own root. Hulthemias have a history of rapid and unavoidable death in my yard, so Bull's Eye didn't survive the summer (and I fear the same will be true of my third and last try of Eyes for You from Chamblee's this spring). I still have the rest - Poseidon grafted from Palatine (the only way I could find it at the time), and Francis Meilland and Pink Enchantment own root. The latter two are only in their second year for me, so I can't attest directly to their wonderfulness, but Poseidon is absolutely the most reliable and healthy lavender I've ever seen.

Cynthia

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Congratulations Nippstress!

And then first there's Jim Sproul's discussion of hulthemias on HMF via the link below.

Given the hulthemia native habitat - which from what I can decipher is either hot or real hot and mostly dry, then offspring with highly influenced hulthemia genetics might not like the cold very much. I don't know, of course, but it may be that such offspring would fit into the default HMF zone range of 6-9 and maybe plus some.

The surprise is that you say that the SUMMER killed it. That confuses me. And I cannot offer an explanation. My observation is that "persica" plants, grown using a gardening typical minimum drainage standard, may not be accustomed to more water but they don't actually complain about it if they get it in the summer. However, drainage can be critical.

Campanula could give us more specifics, but I would think Mr. Warner's working fields would usually be on the moist side in summer.

I just don't know the answer.

I'm sorry, and I'm saddened to hear about your loss.

And on a more hopeful note, I'm looking forward to your future reports (and those mouthwatering photos).

Here is a link that might be useful: Hulthemia Roses and the Red Blotch

• User
    10 years ago

dble post (again)

This post was edited by campanula on Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 19:28

• User
    10 years ago

mmm, hulthemias. Well they are interesting to me because apart from the obvious basal colouration on the petals, I cannot really see any other closely defining characteristics which would situate them in a 'class'. I don't have a big sample size (5) to compare but 3 of them have a gangly upright tendency ( Nigel Hawthorne, Alissar, Eyes for You) and the latter 2 are remontant, while Euphoria is definitely low growing and Eyes on Me (Bright as a Button) is showing every tendency to become a large and bushy plant. The leaves are entirely different on all of them, with Alissar displaying the most extraordinary colours I have ever seen on foliage..........so I would have to assume that the genetics of blotching are really quite stable and once in the lineage, it seems to be easily expressed. Course, I know zero about hybridising..........
    I couldn't speak with any authority about temperatures since Z8 is fairly temperate....although I am terribly mean with irrigation (not doing it). I would say they all require a lot of sunlight though - apart from Eyes on Me, none of them are loaded with leafage and would be a bit hopeless in shade. I can't recall the parentage of Eyes for You but I do recall thinking it should be fairly hardy....but whether it could manage Z5???
    Apart from Nigel Hawthorne and Euphoria, the others are still fairly new to me (the last 3-4 years) and are really just coming into their mature characteristics. I am massively impressed with the health of the newer ones though (Euphrates and NH are more prone to BS) and Euphoria gets a bit of mildew towards the end of the season. None of them have any fragrance but I don't mind since I would always trade fragrance for health. Why do I like them so much? I think it is the open face and the contrast between the petals and visible stamens. I have never cared for very double roses but am terribly drawn to that open faced style of mallows, poppies. potentilla.....and of course, blossom in the rosaceae family

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

I have Poseidon and it IS the most wonderful rose. I have it grafted on MF. I'm sure you could get it grafted and then take cuttings as it is very very vigorous. Mine is huge, likely due to rootstock but I'm going to try some cuttings this summer. Super healthy.
    Svr. Baden Baden and Bull's Eye are very appealing. In addition to Camps, Roseseek has posted quite a bit about his love of hulthemias.
    Susan

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

I got all of them. All are grafted. All are in pots except POSEIDON, which is really quite beautiful and probably the best of the group. Love the color and the scallopy petals. BULLSEYE is a really good one for me. Lots of blooms and really interesting as they change color. Got a little powdery mildew last yr tho. SOUVENIR DE BADEN BADEN is ok. Had decent repeat, but the blooms had thrips (I don't spray) and weren't all that exciting the first season. Hopefully they'll be better this yr. FRANCIS MEILLAND was by far the worst of the group. It broke dormancy just fine, sent out about 6-8" of growth and stopped right there. I fed it, watered it well, but nothing happened beyond that. No green growth, no buds, no blooms. If it doesn't do something this yr, it's a goner!

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Euphrates is the only original Harkness Hulthemia I currently grow. It is a very stingy bloomer in this climate, particularly in comparison to all the newer hybrids. It is also such a martyr to mildew, even the flower petals contract the fungi. I don't spray. Eyeconic Lemonade has been clean. The Moore Persians grow and flower OK here, but they are like the older Harkness hybrids in that they are NOT "garden roses", but botanical oddities. Eyes for You is bullet proof here and Raspberry Kiss is, so far, demonstrating as excellent health as Eyes. Having grown a "wild" Hulthemia, I look at all of these in total amazement. Kim

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

Yep, it's seeing campanula AND Beth AND Kim all report how Eyes for you or Bulls-Eye or the Eyeconic series are bullet-proof for them makes me sigh in frustration. I don't think my problem is the amount of moisture or sun per se, since we get relatively little of the former and plenty of the latter, but I suspect it's our loamy clay soils that makes the hultemias not survive my summers, Sandandsun. Other semi-xeric plants from places like High Country Gardens have died similarly rapid deaths when I've tried to create the light soils and rocky conditions under which they would be more suited. If I were better at pots and a lot more organized about keeping control of conditions in specialty gardens I might be more successful, but that's too much like work.

At least I CAN grow roses, just not these. I will post some pictures of the garden once spring gets going and I appreciate the encouragement as well as compliments, Sandandsun. Not that any of us need TOO much incentive to show off our yards anyway...

Cynthia

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To excerpt from Jim Sproul's article linked in a post above:

"Hulthemias however,...are not true roses...."

So I agree with you, Nippstress, because although I've observed that most roses do love clay (as your garden, one of mine, and others here demonstrate), the same probably should not be said about hulthemia hybrids.

Also, I completely agree about too much work because my instincts always told me that working with Nature was the path of least resistance providing the greatest rewards. I've enjoyed those rewards in other climates. I am now VERY slowly, but it seems surely, getting them here too.

In a similar vein, pots ARE too much work for ME. Temporary pampering is the most pot work I will do, but I digress.

Yes, it is abundantly clear that you CAN grow roses and I don't think that I'm the only one that celebrates that fact.

Best wishes for a glorious spring.

Lastly even if unnecessarily: incentive, incentive, incentive!