Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazybonz

What is this? A disease?

lazybonz
9 years ago

Hello, I just purchased 3 David Austin Roses from Rosesunlimited and one plant looks very odd.
I don't know enough about roses to know if it is a disease or what. Maybe just from heat during shipping?
I don't want to plant a rose that will make my other roses sick and I don't want to complain, if the rose is actually OK.
I don't know how to add more than 1 photo to a post but will gladly add more posts with pictures if necessary.
Please let me know what it is.

Comments (16)

• lazybonz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A picture of the entire plant

• lazybonz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe this leaf close-up will help
    If more pics are needed please tell me whether you want yellow leaf closeups or the discolored leaves close up

• buford
    9 years ago

The leaves look sunburned or maybe they were sprayed before they were sent to you. Also, during shipping, many roses suffer from heat (or cold in the winter) and drop a lot of leaves. I would just watch it. The rest of it looks healthy. You can pick off the older damaged leaves.

• lazybonz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Buford, thank you!
    Knowing precious little about roses, I was afraid to plant it and possibly infect my other roses.
    I thought maybe it was a rose virus.
    I love the beauty and fragrance of David Austin roses, so I'm hoping the 3 I've bought will grow nicely in my garden.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

If you are concerned, contact Pat Henry at RU. They are very good at resolving issues. Looks like stress from being shipped, especially if it has been really hot.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Where you located lazybonz? (general location and zone..)
    Thanks...

I had two roses do that last year from being to hot during shipping.
    All the leaves fell off both our plants. I'm in zone 6a so I just went ahead and planted them in the ground kept them well watered and shaded during hottest parts of the day by placing a chair over them.
    After awhile they started growing new leaves...
    NO FERTILIZER should be used as they are already stressed...

They are doing real good this year...Came back just fine from our cold winter...

Or call Rosesunlimited and see what they say...

• lazybonz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm on Long Island in NY--where I think blackspot and powdery mildew were first created ;-)
    As far as heat damage goes, it's not the temps here but rather the temps during shipping that would have caused this.
    Thanks for the good advice from everyone.
    I've never ordered growing roses before and don't know all that much about roses, in general.
    The DA English roses are just so pretty and some are strongly fragrant, which is exactly what I want.
    The roses arrived late yesterday so today I'll just follow their planting instructions and will be sure to skip fertilizing until September.
    Please let me know if that seems reasonable or if I should fertilize first mid-late August, instead.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Potted roses shipped in the heat of summer may defoliate entirely, but mine have always recovered. Just remove the dead and dying leaves as Buford said. I would keep it in mottled shade for a while before planting and gradually increase exposure as it recovers. Don't let the soil in the little pot dry out..

• lazybonz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Michaelg, that's very good to know.

Like I said I have little knowledge of roses and have never ordered live plants online before--and didn't want to infect other plants, if this was a disease, rather than just shipping stress.

• User
    9 years ago

+1 what Michael said. Its not a disease.

• lazybonz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My sincerest thanks to all who have been kind enough to reply.
    Your help is truly appreciated.

It's good to know that there's no need to get rid of the plant and that with a little time, recovery is likely.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

I actually left the leaves fall off by themselves. My reason was they protected the bare canes from the sun...
    But as long as you do not let to much direct sun hit them they should be ok either way..

• roseseek
    9 years ago

They do look "cooked" which could have resulted from all of the suggestions already offered. I agree about leaving them alone until the plant decides to shed them. Any green in them continues feeding the plant and and even dead leaves provide sun shading, as Jim suggested. I'd just keep them watered well and out of extreme heat and sun until new growth begins replacing the affected leaves. By all means, you might let RU know so they can figure out what may have happened. Perhaps they can prevent it from occurring again to someone else. I know I would want to know it was an issue so I could circumvent it in the future. Not that they did anything "wrong", but anything that diminishes a customer's delight in receiving your product affects your reputation, future sales and customer loyalty. A happy customer is worth their weight in effort! Kim

• lazybonz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A heartfelt thank you!

I take the advice of you experienced rosarians seriously.

Heeding the advice given here, I did email Pat Henry at RU, who replied very promptly.
    It makes me glad to know that I ordered from a seller who cares about customer service.

Just so you all know, she said the same exact things you've all said---that it's heat damage, to water the rose and let the plant recover in the shade for a few days before planting.

Jim, what you said makes a lot of sense to me.

Again, thanks to all of you who have shared their knowledge with me!

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Yeah, it's fine to let the leaves stay unless you are going to stare at them and worry.

• lazybonz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sounds good, Jim.

I will simply resume worrying about everything else and let the leaves be ;)