Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Beetle Grubs 2014 - Midwest

Posted by mark_roeder 4B IA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 0:52

In NE Iowa we had an infestation two years ago that just wore me out, wiped me out, and diminished my interest in roses.

During that same year of the infestation, we had a drought, and so the following year (last year) we had few Japanese Beetles.

This past year we had an unusually brutal winter, and water pipes in our neighborhood buried 4-feet deep were frozen (not mine, but others in the neighborhood). I am 57 and never heard of such a thing in Iowa as water pipes below ground freezing in Iowa. We were -30F or lower two nights. The USDA reassessed us as Zone 5 a few years ago, and as a result :) we have had lows below -30F two of the past 5-years.

I saw 1-2 beetle grubs in early May when I planted my vegetable garden. I spent the entire day today planting roses, and saw not one grub.

What is your grub report here in the Midwest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Beetle Grubs 2014 - Midwest

I live in the Chicago area & also remember JB's being particularly bad in 2012 & not as bad last summer. I've been planting two different properties
(mine & my elderly Aunt & Uncles's) everyday for a couple of weeks & encountered one grub, yesterday.

o

2011 & 2012 were terrible, the JB's ate the buds of my summer blooms before they even opened and they even skeletonized the leaves of many rose bushes, especially OGR's. 2013 the JB's were way down, I believe due to the drought during the summer before & I suspect the same will be true for this summer. Haven't seen any JB's so far this summer but they usually don't show up to the end of June & peak about the middle of July.

o

Thanks for bringing this up!
Here in Nottingham, we did not have a winter but a brutal summer last year with swarms of Japanese beetles and this year, we had too many rain storms and (I only it is only beginning) I saw only one beetle which was dead in a bucket of water. what affects their numbers?

o

We had a particularly bad year years ago. Or it could have been because I used those darn traps. Anyway, I had to resort to Sevin. Since then, there haven't be many to concern me. Not just in my yard, but all over this area. Now I did see two JBs just this week, so maybe the JB drought is over. I sure hope not.

o

I am in Southern Kentucky, and the beetles were horrible (for me) last year.

I was drowning Colorado Potato Beetle larvae off of my potato plants on Friday the 13th, and had a JB in my pitcher.

o

NoAcceptance,

Drought the season earlier decreases Japanese Beetle grubs. I think it is harder for them to bore into the ground, and for the eggs to hatch without moisture.

I am speculating that a 4' deep frost line helps keep them down, too. We shall see. But prior to two years ago when they were so numerous here, I would usually get multiple grubs in each shovel full I would dig in the garden. And I have seen only 1 or 2 beetle grubs, and that was in May.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here