Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseseek

Budwood sought

roseseek
9 years ago

I'm looking for bud wood of the following, please...

Emeraude d'Or

Blue Bayou

The idea would be stems from recently shattered flowers where the buds haven't begun forming new foliage or canes. Might anyone here grow them, be able and willing to provide a few stems, please? You can message me directly through GW here and we can work out the details. My root stocks are rooted and pushing so this is the time. Thank you! Kim

Comments (6)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Gee, Kim, looks like you aren't having any luck here. Wish I had them for you!

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Sharon, I do, too! As if I NEED one, more, rose! LOL! Thanks. Kim

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Hi Kim,
    There is nothing like being a year late and a dollar short. But I could send you some budwood for Blue Bayou, but, egads, it would be into June 2015 before I could send any. I am also totally stupid about what exactly constitutes budwood.
    I am sorry this is such a late reply, since I just saw this post. Diane

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Diane! Good to see you. I hope all is going well up in the "north land". Thank you! I obtained Blue Bayou from a friend this past summer and it has taken, but I definitely appreciate your offer. Bud wood is easy. It can be from a flowering stem from which a flower has recently shattered, but from which no new foliage or shoots are forming yet, just as you would seek for soft wood cuttings. It can also be from the growth beneath that flowering shoot, also with no new foliage or shoots forming. You want the buds to be dormant to just prior to actively starting growth, but not to the point of new foliage appearing yet, or they will be too water hungry to survive the reduced sap flow a newly inserted bud will receive from an actively growing stock. So, bud wood is often very much the same material as either hard or soft wood cuttings. It all depends upon when the budding is intended to be done. If you are budding now, the more actively growing stuff (prior to new foliage formation) is better as it will knit and break into growth seemingly immediately. If you wish to collect the wood now, store it over winter and bud the following summer, then you go for material which you would normally call hard wood cuttings. There really isn't anything new under the sun, except what you call it depending upon what you intend to do with it. Thank you! Kim

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Hi again, Kim,

Up here nothing is going on in the garden--all looks gloomy and dead, but I know it isn't. Things are just sleeping, but it's hard to be patient. We have a short, intense growing season.

I'm glad you were able to obtain bud wood from a friend. What will you be doing with the grafted plant now that it has taken? Will you be crossing Blue Bayou in the future with something else? What if you came up with the ultimate blue rose? I've thought of that quite a bit, and wonder if it could be done. The rose world would beat a path to your door.

Is it legal to cross a rose like, say, Augusta Luise (Tantau) that is still under patent with another rose to produce something new? I'm very uninformed about this kind of thing. I mention this rose because I think it is so unique and might produce more unique offspring. It's all so intriguing.

Have fun with Blue Bayou and all your other projects.

Diane

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Diane, thank you! I was thinking of taking the healthiest lavender/mauve and crossing it with the healthiest copper/apricot/amber to see what might be accomplished in the tan/russet shades. There are a few which come to mind to use, but we'll see how they progress. Oh, yes, it is legal to use patented varieties for breeding, unless you happen to have one which contains a patented gene. Not that they "created" the gene, they've simply moved it from one genus of plant to another and we mistakenly permitted them to be patented. So far, the only rose known to contain such a gene is Applause, the "blue" florist rose, which isn't blue. There are newer contracts being written for new roses being released for testing and distribution which demand the return of any mutations and promising seedlings obtained or discovered by the distributors and testers to the originator of the variety. Fortunately, those don't pertain to you and me, the end purchasers who wish to explore and experiment with them. Good luck being patient until spring! That isn't something I think I would be very good at! Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Applause