Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What weeds have thorns??

Posted by aggierose (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 1:21

I went to pull a weed today that is growing next to my Tiffany. I was very surprised to find that the weed had thorns exactly like rose thorns! The weed doesn't look like a rose at all, so its not a sucker. What weeds have thorns like roses? I couldn't even pull it out because I didn't have my gloves!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What weeds have thorns??

I have a few, but it could be a young bramble, which is really a wild berry bush. I think they are actually related to roses.

What did it look like?

o

Raspberries and blackberries invade my garden all the time. If they're smalll, I pull them out (with gloves on); otherwise, I dig. Blackberry thorns, in particular, are lethal.

o

All kinds of thistles and some kinds of nettle have thorns. In particular, bull nettle and bull thistle are VERY thorny and the thorns are hard and sharp. Canada thistle and musk thistle are also thorny, but not quite so painful. If you can describle it, or post a picture, someone can probably identify it. I'm guessing from your handle that you are in Texas, which probably means a whole different set of weeds than what I deal with!

o

You're leaving out my personal nightmare, Horse Nettle. Now those thorns will pierce goatskin gloves and it spreads by runners deep under the soil. Just keep pulling.

Horse nettle does have a predator insect slug that eats the leaves but doesn't touch the seed filled fruits...we need to alter those slugs' appetites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horse Nettle from a Texas website

o

Guess what Ann? I looked at your picture of horse nettle, and it is the same thing as I was calling bull nettle. Cursed stuff!! You are so right. And to think I inadvertently brought it into my garden on purpose. I didn't have it here in eastern Nebraska until I went home to southwest Iowa for a visit, and brought back a pickup load of "stuff" from my dad's old feedlot. BIG MISTAKE!! I don't think you can EVER get rid of the darned things!

o

Yes I had some thorny weeds that I have never seen before.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here