Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickjoseph

Love Song and Dick Clark

Hi, today picked up very healthy Love Song & Dick Clark. Both are heartier in Zone 5 & from what I read/heard disease resistant. It's been soooo long since I planted bushes. The last one I planted was the Pat Austen--still doing well over 7 years ago. My questions; we dug a hole as deep as the container and several inches wider. Added some rose fertilizer in hole & watered. Put Love Song in hole & covered about 2-3" past bud union/graft. Patted soil down firmly around plant & watered. Same followed for Dick Clark. How often should I water the newly planted roses? Also fertilize every 2 weeks? I'm a little nervous as it's been years since we planted roses. None of the roses we ever planted died--at least not for 4 years or so. Rest are still thriving. Have to tell you, the 1/2 dead Othella had the hugest fattest root that even my hubby had a really hard time getting it out. Thanks!

Comments (5)

• buford
    9 years ago

I love Dick Clark, I want to get that one.

Water more than fertilize. The roses may go through transplant shock ad they adapt to their new home. They need to establish a root system. I would water every other day if you don't get rain. If you see new growth, then start fertilizing. I use organic fertilizer, so I only put it down about 3 times a year. If you use a slow release chemical fertilizer, then every 6 weeks is good. Good Luck!

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

You got two of my favorite roses! I've had Dick Clark since it came out in 2011 and it's wintered very well for me, even this last one! It is pretty healthy, vigorous growing and blooms a lot! Sorry, no fragrance to speak of.

I got Love Song last spring and fell head over heels in love with it. Unfortunately it was one of those grafts with a really LOOONG shank on it so the graft was above the soil line and it didn't survive this past winter. But I decided I couldn't be without it so I just bought a new one, lol! It was otherwise very healthy for me all last season and bloomed nearly continuously. It even smells good!

I have to agree with buford, easy on the fertilizer and pour on the water. I wouldn't fertilize at all until you see new growth on them. Keep them consistently moist but not soggy wet. They should do fine for you.

• nickjoseph Milwaukee, WI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Buford & seil-- Watered both well yesterday after planting, and it has been raining for hours today! I did add Miracle Grow (1 Tablespoon) to the hole before putting the rose in each hole. Hopefully that won't be a problem. That is normally how I have fertilized all our roses. Maybe this is wrong? Because normally every 2-3 weeks from the end of Spring to the end of Summer I add 1 tblspn of Rose Miracle Grow into a gallon of water & sprinkle around each rose bush. Also we were able to cover both grafts on the Love Song & Dick Clark & they are supposed to be okay for my Zone or I wouldn't have even gotten them. Thanks!

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

That's sounds fine, Nick. You just want to be careful with the fertilizer when you first plant roses so you don't burn the roots. Besides, when you first plant them it takes them a bit to settle in and start to take up nutrients anyway. Seeing new growth start on top will tell you that roots are ready to feed more top growth so you can go ahead and start to fertilize.

• nickjoseph Milwaukee, WI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

seil,
    Well hopefully I did not burn the roots cuz like I said, after we dug the hole, I added a tablespoon of the Roses Miracle Grow to the hole. Then I watered the hole so the rose miracle grow would get wet & disperse into the soil. Then added the bush & covered & watered again.