Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellaroset

Red Rose, darker outside lighter inside?

EllaRoseT
11 years ago

Hi all! I'm new to gardening roses. But I'm looking for a nice really red rose. Prefence is for one that is darker on the outside and lighter on the inside.

Do any exist like that?

Of course disease resistance would be great (My Mister Lincoln seems to get black spot a lot); and I'd love for it to be a good cut rose.

(let me know if the ones you recommend have any other perks!)

thanks so much!

Comments (6)

• EllaRoseT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi all! I'm new to gardening roses. But I'm looking for a nice really red rose. Prefence is for one that is darker on the outside and lighter on the inside.
    Do any exist like that?
    Of course disease resistance would be great (My Mister Lincoln seems to get black spot a lot); and I'd love for it to be a good cut rose.
    (let me know if the ones you recommend have any other perks!)

thanks so much!

oh, alot of blooms would also be a plus... my ML seems to not get many (tho it is only his 2nd year)

• flaurabunda
    11 years ago

EllaRose,
    Location is everything when it comes to making recommendations--can you let us know approximately where you are? Conditions in zone 6b can vary greatly from one area of the country to another.

If you're looking for a true red that has a little variance from the outer petals to the inner petals without changing to purple or pink, have you considered the deep red, "black" roses? I grow Taboo/Barkarole, and I think it's magnificent. Growth is robust, disease resistance is very good so far, and it has a light scent that reminds me of berries. The scent is better if brought indoors and it does very well for me as a cut flower.

Here are some pics. The buds are black, and after they open, the darker petals on the outside form a deep burgundy/blackish frame for the inner petals, which are a deep, blood-red color.

{{gwi:283511}}

{{gwi:283512}}

{{gwi:283513}}

{{gwi:283514}}

• EllaRoseT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I live near King of Prussia, PA (about 40 minutes outside of Philadelphia) if that helps!

I was looking at the black red roses: Lavaglut, Black Cherry, Black Magic, Black Garnent, Taboo, Black Baccara, Deep Secret, Rouge Royal, Black Lady

was especially looking at Black Magic and Taboo... but I couldn't tell that they were darker on the outside/lighter on the inside... and I was a little overwhelmed trying to figure out which one was best...

Taboo is looking like a very good candidate tho! thanks... (do you have any knowledge or Black Magic per chance?.. how do they compare?)

• EllaRoseT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh and I live in a low house with only one tree in the front yard... so I have lots of options for lots of sun

• flaurabunda
    11 years ago

Well, so far Taboo is the only one I have tried. I've seen tons of Lavagluts around, and they look very different from the 'black' Hybrid Teas. Lavaglut is a deep, glowing red that usually has a cluster of small blooms at the end of each stem.

I picked Taboo because it was easy to find on Multiflora rootstock & I'd seen a couple of very nice specimens in Illinois. Hopefully some other forum members can chime in for a compare/contrast on the others.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

I think they all do that. The relatively dark color of red darkens in the sun as time passes, and the outside of the flower receives more sun than the inner.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner