Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stross_gw

Beneficial nematodes v. thrips: Anyone tried this?

Greg
9 years ago

Thrips are the bane of my rose garden. Spring, summer, fall. They don't take a break. Have not had too much luck with insecticides.

Just today, in searching on line, I came across an organic gardening supply company that promotes beneficial nematodes as a solution to thrips. Apparently they come in some type of a sponge that's soaked in water, rung out, diluted and then watered into the soil, where the nematodes go after the immature thrips in the soil.

Has anybody tried these things in their rose garden? if so, what kind of results did you have? Did you notice any significant reduction in your thrip popuation as a result?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

Don't most thrips fly in from fields and other plants they feed on?

In my part of the country, thrips are a problem as the first cutting of hay dries out, then the thrips move and are followed by the predaceous thrips whose populations grow in response to the surge in their food source.

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    9 years ago

Though I've never used nematodes to try and get rid of thrips, I have used them to try and get rid of japanese beetles. What I discovered is fewer grubs in my garden but still as many on my plants. The problem with the beetles and thrips is they can fly.

When I did research on how to get rid of thrips I found information on insects that eat them. One such insect that is easily recognizable is the pirate bug.

We were infested with thrips, so much so that I found 30+ on EACH daylilly flower (not plant, flower) and we have hundreds! My new roses couldn't bloom at all, especially my Moonlight Magic, Stainless Steel, and Neptune. I had to clip all the buds as they were so damaged by thrips I was concerned about the health of the plants (ironic how I was more concerned about aphids before this).

After reading about the thrip-eating bugs I decided to see if I could find any on the daylillies. I found one pirate bug and it was enough to convince me to wait and see for a few weeks. 5 days later and two of my roses have bloomed today. I inspected them for thrips and found 2-3... and a pirate bug. Pirate bugs are my roses new best friends and I, at last, can enjoy some blooms! They haven't yet finished up the population on the daylillies, but I haven't given them much time, either.

If you decide not to get the nematodes you should consider predatory insects.

• Greg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input. Pirate bugs do look like they might be more effective on the above-the-ground thrips... Maybe a combo of them and the nematodes.... Anyway, thanks again, Ann and Rosecandy

• buford
    9 years ago

Like the others, I usually get thrips for the first flush. Not all roses are affected by them, but some are badly ruined. This year, because of our cooler spring, the thrips missed the first flush, which was nice. They were here for part of the second, but not as bad. usually the pirate bugs show up and take care of things.

Is it possible you have chili thrips?

• Greg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Buford, chili thrips showed up last year, and a bit this year, too. The tell-tale damage to new growth gave them away. The foliage damage is under control. But the buds seem to get the brown edges despite spraying, with spinosad, bayer, etc. Am thinking more and more to give the pirate bug thing a try. I have cosmos coming up, which are said to attract the pirate bugs, and may purchase some for release, too. Never thought I'd be willing to shell out $$$ for bugs!

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

(Expletive), who'd a thunk that Chili Thrips would get to San Antonio that fast?

Sorry for y'all.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

Urg. They must be on their way here then. :/

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This is an old thread, but chili thrips are now in my garden in Santa Clarita, CA and I'm thinking of introducing biological controls. Does anyone have any thoughts or updates?