Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
galinas_hs

Rose plant is very slow.

galinas
9 years ago

Hello,
I have Princesse De Monaco rose bush, that was almost killed by last winter. Just one cane left green about 1.5 inches above grafting point, the rest was all black. It had a bud on that green part, so I cut it back to that bud, hopping it will give me a cane from there. It grew for about 3-4 inches high, thin and weak and nothing else is growing. The question is, does it make sense to give it more time, or should I just dig it out and plant another rose in that spot while summer is just starting?

Comments (7)

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    9 years ago

In Z5, dieback down to the snow line is typical for Hybrid Teas.

How well a HT bounces back from winter depends on how much green cane you have, as well as how well it did the previous season. Disease, such as BS, can significantly affect how fast it comes back.

Hard pruning also has an adverse effect--if you look at greenhouse roses--they support the long canes with wires--even though they cut long stems, there is still a lot of fully leafed out stem on the plant after the blooms are harvested--blooming takes a lot out of the plant.

It took many years, but I have learned out to efficiently grow one cane roses and cuttings into full sized plants--there are microclimate zones where I can reasonably expect a plant to grow (not necessarily bud or bloom) without any coddling.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Chances are that rose will never again be what it once was. If you want to experiment with saving it I'd pot it up. That way you can put in something healthy and growing for the garden and still see what you can do with the Princess.

• kentstar
    9 years ago

Galinas, two of my knockouts are doing the same exact thing and I stand ready poised with shovel in hand lol! I have been waiting all spring for a sign that they will bounce back but nothing. Three other knockouts in the same bed are doing just fine, don't figure. I am ready to buy 2 more and say the h$LL with it, but I wonder if this winter will be more of the same and I'd be replacing those too. lol

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Ditto on what Seil said about your Princesse De Monaco...

Kenstar, I think our local Catholic church lost a lot of Knockouts this past winter. I just went by the church today and a estimated 12 of there 40 knockouts have no foilage yet...Others slow growing with moderate amounts of foilage and some have nice normal growth...
    I need to take a pic before they rip them out..

This post was edited by jim1961 on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 17:35

• kentstar
    9 years ago

I'll have to make sure I take some more pics before I rip these out! lol

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Kentstar,

I finally remembered my camera today Kentstar but I was to late as they already ripped out around 14 Ko's that never came back to life at our local Catholic Church...I'm really surprised as I thought they were more winter hardy... Hummmm

I did take some pics anyhow to show winter damage on some of them that nobody pruned out yet.

{{gwi:284449}}

{{gwi:284450}}

{{gwi:284451}}

{{gwi:284452}}

Looks like this type of KO's did better with less winter damage:
    {{gwi:284453}}

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i'm not sure.. that it is prime planting season this time of year ...

ken

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures