Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluegirl_gw

who planted those *!@#ing morning glories?!

bluegirl_gw
9 years ago

Dang it, they're gonna drop seed everywhere & we'll be pulling them up for the next 50 yrs!!

Might as well throw some 4 O'Clocks seeds & oxalis in here.

Comments (27)

• buford
    9 years ago

HA! I say that all the time.

Unfortunately, the answer is ME!!! Idiot that I am. I had nine MG seeds which is now like kudzu.

Well, to be fair, where I grew up MGs weren't invasive. I've had luck pulling up seedlings, using preen and lots of mulch. You have until they flower to get them out before they reseed again.

I do leave the native MGs, as they don't take over every thing and are small and pretty. Plus I probably couldn't get rid of all of them if I tried.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

And, unfortunately, the answer is also me.

We were told they were not invasive. HA!!!

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

And Morning Glories also tie back to the major rose hybridizer, Dr. W. van Fleet and his time in a commune. (Yes, there were communes back in the early 1900s). He was one of two 'botanizers' who were crossing annuals and selling the seeds to raise money for the commune and they sold a lot of Morning Glory seeds.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Oh, I learned a long time ago not to plant those nasty stranglers...and they still show up in my garden! We have wild ones that grow all over the place and I'm sure the birds spread the seeds around. I think Mother Nature has quite the sense of humor, lol.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Oh, I learned a long time ago not to plant those nasty stranglers...and they still show up in my garden! We have wild ones that grow all over the place and I'm sure the birds spread the seeds around. I think Mother Nature has quite the sense of humor, lol.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

A few years ago I planted Morning Glories to hide a cement slab. Every year they still come up in that same location.

We have Morning Glories coming up under/ around our dogwood bushes I let some of them grow up through the bushes so it gives our bushes some extra color thoughout the year.

So I really do not mind them too much. Now if our climate was warmer and longer I would not want them here...

{{gwi:284530}}

• jjeenniiffeerr
    9 years ago

I call them the devils flower because no matter what you do they never go away...I have in the past completely torn out my flower garden in the spring and spent the entire summer and fall turning the dirt and pulling out the roots just to have them return year after year

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Anyone need 4 oclocks. :)

• bluegirl_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They ARE very pretty (though I won't plant them anymore).

FWIW, four o'clocks are fine here, & I rather like oxalis--it's low & flowers over most of the year--though both can be invasive.

But dammit, don't let them plant Bermuda grass on this webpage, or I'll quit!

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Never got to enjoy their Glory in the Morning, so ripped em' out.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

LOL Oldfixer..YES I wish MG's bloomed all day instead of just morning... :-/

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

I happen to like the dwarf Ensign Morning Glories. I've either ripped them out at the right time or they just haven't reseeded well here. However, they hardly reach 6" tall and double or triple that in width. There's always Moonflower for those who can't enjoy their Morning Glories, but I have avoided the climbing varieties which you see running rampant in even the most neglected spots.

Jay

• ordphien
    9 years ago

My morning glory flowers last two or three days.

I have one. I've kept it in check all these years. I think I'm finally ripping it out.
    Want something easier.

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Only time planting morning glories was around 1980 when I fell for the picture on a seed pack of Flying Saucers, a blue & white pinwheel. They were glorious that year along an open lattice tall fence. However, the nearly forever seedlings bloomed dishwater gray! Must not have been a quirk, since they disappeared from the market soon after - only to reappear recently, touted as the rarest form...

After warning my son to be careful when siting morning glories for their enduring nature, he planted Heavenly Blue in a small bed to the side of the driveway bordered by a concrete slab patio along with grapes. They've only reappeared there for the 5 years since, and maintained the blue, so seems the hardscape's coralled them.

Find moonflowers more rewarding, and they've - unfortunately - only managed to reseed here once. Or maybe they do & the bunnies eat the sprouts before I can find them? Deer sure loved the moonflowers, so grew them in pots on the porch. The lone seedling spread along the base of the stone porch & never finding a leg up, made its way stretching along the base for 20' only a foot high & wide. Never would have occurred to me to plant a moonflower for that use, but it certainly made a charming low edging to the wall, like jim's morning glory border.

This post was edited by vasue on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 12:18

• greentiger87
    9 years ago

I stupidly threw some seeds of the gigantic wild morning glory we have around here in my knockout rose bed. It seemed so well behaved in the park. They are gorgeous, but strangling the roses!

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

ha I planted a few seeds of the blue M.G a few years ago to go up a fence,,and they have reseeded evry since.I got tired of them after a few years and pulled them out, only to return the following year ever since. and wrap around where I don't want them to be.so I used round up on them to kill them out,and to my surprise,I still have them growing.and I keep pulling them up/.

jean

• Lisa_H OK
    9 years ago

Me, me...I planted them too. I spent part of the evening tonight ripping out bind weed, morning glories and wild morning glories from all over my gardens. It is a never ending job. Currently I am encouraging passionvine and watching with trepidation my pipevine. I think both of them have the possibility of being just as bad....but at the moment I am giving them a pass because I am growing them as butterfly host plants.

My Georgetown Tea was covered in bind weed and wild morning glories. I keep an eye on it...but I blinked and they took over!

• buford
    9 years ago

lisa, I also have native passion flower and I just got a pipevine. The PF does tend to take over, but once the caterpillars get at it, they completely devour it. Plus it really doesn't reseed, it just spreads under ground. I do pull some of it up. I wish it was as prominent in my butterfly garden as it is in my rose bed!

• springroz
    9 years ago

The first Spring we were in this house, those gorgeous blue MG came up!! I put a shepherd's hook in the middle and had a lovely MG bush. Hummers loved it. Last Spring, I started working on the front bed. and let them quaintly cover my unpainted railing on the steps. This Spring, I am SO sick of the daily MG sprout removal. I put in rock along the foundation, and I have to spray those.....GAH!!!

Nancy

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

The seeds must last 10 years in the ground at least

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Ironically, until this last year Morning Glories were one of those plants that wouldn't grow at all for me. I'd plant several packages of them one summer, get maybe one vine with a few blooms, then nothing after that. I know, most of you wish you could have such problems! Just last year, I gave it one more try in a partly shaded spot with some Grandpa Ott's dark purple morning glories and some species sweet peas up a 6' black aluminum fence. They seemed moderately happy last year, though very few blooms again, but something is just now coming up around that fence. Too small to tell if it's the morning glory or sweet peas or both (I'm guessing the sweet peas given my history) but they're so far pretty well-behaved.

I do know that morning glories will survive and reseed in my zone, since my neighbor had the standard blue morning glories all around her vegetable patch every year. Unfortunately, what survives and grows rampantly here is the nasty white bindweed, which is enough incentive to take it easy on the morning glories until you can tell the difference. As the same neighbor aged, she had bindweed growing everywhere in her large backyard, and it would constantly weave into their grapes on our shared fence (the grapes were most welcome) as well as Virginia Creeper (another unkillable thug). The new neighbors that bought their house have been trying to pull it out all over the yard, and I had to tell them how hard they're going to be working at that over the next few years, but how grateful I was that they were trying.

I have visions of a garden newbie putting up trellises to support the white bindweed as an ornamental plant, since the white blooms are pretty persistent all summer and attractive for at least a nanosecond before they start looking like The White Death that Ate Cleveland.

Sympathies to all for which this plant is a ruthless thug

Cynthia

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

I've never planted MG's, but we do have some of the small wild pink ones each year.

I do plant Moonflowers almost every year. I'm convinced that if there's a heaven, it will smell like Moonflowers. Also, I'm a bit of a Night Owl, so the timing is better for me...

• frenchcuffs13
    9 years ago

I'm sorry, but the initial post and all the responses had me laughing so hard! you guys always crack me up. Thanks for the great sense of humor everyone.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    9 years ago

I also had purchased and planted blue morning glories. I threw them in the air for birds and the hillside. Now they are everywhere. When we have a few days of rain, they vine around my roses. I really regret having planted them, and think it will take forever to get rid of them.

If I dare to take a few days off from gardening, and just water, the MG take over the rose beds, and almost everything else. They are terribly invasive here.

Sammy

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I filled 3 trash cans with 4 o'clocks yesterday..... Could fill 3 more. We have white, yellow, light pink and deep pink if anyone wants seeds

• njmomma
    9 years ago

My neighbor!! 7 years ago she planted them and hasn't grown them since but I'm pulling them out of my garden bed that shares a fence with her ever since. So annoying!!!

• SYinUSA, GA zone 8
    9 years ago

After struggling with bindweed for 6 years (and counting), I never want to see that kind of flower again.