Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Unique way I share my roses

sara_ann-z6bok
9 years ago

I live and work part-time in a very small town. I work in the front office of a business in a fairly relaxed atmosphere and wait on customers who come in for various services. When I am not at my computer it goes to screen saver and I have dozens of pictures on it, of grandkids, lots of roses, etc. I enjoy so much having a way to share roses with others. Most of the time they are inexperienced with roses and are in awe of all the beautiful pictures. Occasionally there will be someone who does grow roses themselves and they are glad to know someone else who appreciates their beauty. Yesterday I enjoyed so much a mother and daughter who were almost mesmerized by the roses. The daughter remembered an arrangement of Angel Face roses she had received when she graduated from high school and recalled how fragrant they were. I enjoy so much brightening someone's day, even if it is only for just a few fleeting moments.

Comments (12)

• view1ny NY 6-7
    9 years ago

sara-ann, if I lived in your town I'd certainly come by to see your screensaver. Would love to see your rose pics! grandkids too, of course.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

View1ny - Thank you.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Wonderful Sara Ann!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Jim. Judy - That sounds like a wonderful way to share, and I am sure your customers appreciate it. I used to do that frequently when I was younger, but recently I haven't done it as much. Most people are grateful and enjoy seeing them, but one time my feelings really got hurt, because one lady let me know roses didn't do anything for her. She had been on a tour of the rose garden in Tyler, Texas and apparently didn't get that big of a thrill out of seeing all those roses. She really is a fairly nice person, guess she just isn't that fond of roses, takes all kinds I guess!

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

I also live in a small town with several small towns all around me. I work part time at the local news paper. I take roses into the office almost every week. They put them in the front lobby for everyone to enjoy. Something else I did this year was plant a small garden out in front of the building by the entrance. That way everyone that comes into the building see's them. Six roses. Peace, Chicago Peace, Remember me, Perfume Delight, Twilight Zone, Granada. I'll be glad when they mature. It will make a good cutting garden.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

The screensaver is a great idea, I'm going to borrow it! Thanks for sharing.

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

We share our roses by placing their pictures on business cards.

Just get a sheet of business cards, set Word up to print the size of cards you purchased and then drag and drop your pictures to each card on the sheet. You don't have to do all of one picture. Word will resize the picture to fit so don't worry about having a big picture. I carry mine in a small card sized note pad.

.....let me show you our roses....etc....etc....

You could also print your email and/or address on the back side of the cards if you so desire. You could even print a border on the cards, so each has a frame around it, by doing multiple printings. Have fun.

toolbelt

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken - I couldn't believe it when you said you work part-time at the local newspaper, that's where I work! We are a very small weekly paper and do other things, like faxing, copying, printing and carry a few office supplies. I've worked there a long time and it has changed drastically in those years. Planting those roses sounds like a marvelous idea, hope your customers appreciate it. I think you chose some great varieties.

Ratdogheads, I'm very happy that you want to borrow the screensaver idea. Honestly it didn't start out as a way to show off roses (and grandkids too), because of its proximity it gets noticed, so I try to add new pictures and take the older ones out from time to time.

Toolbelt - That sounds like a unique and fun way to share your roses. I appreciate any input and ideas that anyone has.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

A picture of one of my rose arrangements is my wallpaper on my iPod.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

Sara-Ann, I work back in the mail room. We print 9 papers for different towns here in N.E. GA. I only work Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 1/2 day. Some weeks can really get crazy. My home rose garden is my relaxation. Taking care of the garden at the office is simple.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken - Your situation is quite different than mine. We are one of the newspapers that have our paper printed elsewhere, pretty common for the smaller ones. I can definitely understand how your rose garden is your relaxation. Even with where I work being a small weekly, back in the old days it could get hectic. Modern technology has changed that by speeding up the process.