Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dogcatlady

Lavender: Heirloom hybrid tea

Ann
13 years ago

Hello,

I was planning on replacing a row of roses this year but I delayed due to finances and time. Now I see at my local grocery store a bunch of hybrid teas called "Heirloom." It's a very lovely dusky lavender. Given that I know I shouldn't be buying roses there, does anyone have experience with this one? I want to believe it's easy to grow, or they wouldn't sell it there....??? But they also have Angel Face and that never did well for me...

Thanks,

Ann in MD 7A (land of humidity)

Comments (12)

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    13 years ago

Overall, Heirloom does okay, but you do need to keep it sprayed for blackspot.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    13 years ago

Just because they sell it in your area, doesn't mean it does well in your area.

Heirloom (and any other hybrid tea) will require regular application of a fungicide (for blackspot prevention) in your area. Lavender/purple roses are typically not very disease resistant, there might be one or two, but I'm hard pressed to name one that does well here.

• particentral
    13 years ago

I adore that rose, even though it does blackspot rather badly if I dont spray. I adore the smell and the color and MAN are they pretty! SOmeone stopped by my shop not long ago and bought mine, so I need to replace it....he paid me $50 for it so I HAD to let it go! LOL This is one of my fave rose pics and I took it last fall.

{{gwi:284837}}

• michaelg
    13 years ago

I agree with the others, it is a beautiful, fragrant, and productive rose, but one of the worst for blackspot and mildew susceptibility. If you spray a good modern fungicide like Bayer Disease Control, it will be fine. It is a lot more vigorous than Angel Face, another big-time blackspotter.

• HassyChick
    10 years ago

I bought (what I believe is) the same one last week from Home Depot. It smelled too good to not buy it. Haven't planted it yet and it's produced about 4 blooms a day since last Sunday. I noticed tiny little holes on one of the blooms though this morning. Bugs I guess? This is my first time growing roses so I'm having to learn A-Z rather quickly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosa Hybrid Heirloom

This post was edited by HassyChick on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 11:26

• densiemill Miller
    10 years ago

I love this rose....it is so fragrant and beautiful. Not great as a cut flower for me but it blooms continuously and is one of my faves. Highly recommend. I also use Bayer.

• Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are beautiful! But I have evolved into an organic gardener. I managed to snag suckers of a violet rugosa rose from my boss's garden---very few problems with them. If they flourish, I will share. : )

Ann

• dani33
    9 years ago

I like the Heirloom rose & Fragrant plum rose, but I'm afraid they won't survive my zone 6 winters. I also don't really want to spray the rose bush. Would either of these varieties be good for me or is there a similar color rose that would? Ty

• Molineux
    9 years ago

Has anybody tried growing HEIRLOOM on its own roots?

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I have Heirloom on its own roots and for an own-root it grew very quickly. No disease in my dry climate (and being an organic gardener I wouldn't use poison just to own a particular rose), but I've foolishly planted it where it's too hot and the beautiful blooms fry quickly. I may have to plant it in a cooler spot, but it is a rose I'm already fond of.

Ingrid

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I have heirloom from Chamblees and I believe it is own root but not sure, I bought several years ago on my first trip to Chamblees and just told the guy what color of roses I wanted and he suggested Heirloom for a purple rose. Mine gets BS and hasn't grown as much as I think it should so I moved it this year and it has done better and grown more. I am hoping next spring it's going to take off.