Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anirban_gw

Please suggest why my rose is dying

Anirban
10 years ago

HI,

I am trying to grow a rose in a container. I have attached a photograph of the same. Its clearly visible that the rose is dying, and the leaves a drying up. Please suggest a remedy.

-Anirban

Comments (5)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

First off is that garden soil in those pots?
    Heavy soils do not work well in pots.
    Use a lighter mixture of a potting soil or mix.

• idixierose
    10 years ago

Your photo doesn't have the sharpest detail, but here's what came to mind:

From your photo, your rose doesn't look half bad. Some of the leaves show pale yellowish mottling, which could be a sign of spider mites. To check for mites, take the plant into the sun and turn the yellowish leaves over to look for tiny specks. Rub the back of the leaf lightly with the tip of a pencil and see if any critters start moving around.

If you do find mites, wash the leaves with a stream of water. Your rose looks small enough that you could cover the soil with newspaper, then hold the bush upside down under a stream of water.

Wash the leaves every day for 3-4 days and the mites will be gone. Although, if they return, you'll have to repeat the treatment.

How do the canes look -- green, yellow or dying back from the tips?

Some extra TLC might help your rose -- liquid seaweed, Superthrive, Espoma Bio Start, Mykos, among other root and plant stimulants might help it establish a good root system.

What kind of soil did you plant it in? A potting soil such as Miracle Gro or Fafard are pretty good. Soil from the garden is usually too heavy and prone to compacting.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I wonder if it may be over-fertilized and that accounts for the brown spots and general "damaged" look? Or are you trying to grow it inside the house rather than out in the garden? It obviously isn't thriving, but it looks more like it needs some good garden treatment--like plant it in the garden in at least 6 hours of sun and water regularly (but don't waterlog it).

By the way, nowadays, most of the container soil mixes contain a bit of fertilizer--another reason to hold back on the fertilizer if you decide to simply re-pot.

I hope --in about a month-- you have good news to report.

Kate

• Anirban
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everybody for your suggestions.

Yes, I use garden soil, but my three other rose bushes seem to thrive well in them.

Will try and wash the plant to get rid of mites.

Thank You

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

For containers you really need to get real potting soil. Garden soil is very heavy and dense and will retain too much water and roses do not like to sit in wet soil. Next, those pots do not look big enough for a full size rose. find some larger pots and I'd recommend plastic or resin ones too. Clay or ceramic pots can also absorb water and hold it from the roses. It also looks like it's against a brick or block wall. You don't say where you are at but if the weather has been very hot it could be getting too much reflected heat from that wall. The rose really doesn't look like it's dying, just a bit stressed.