Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Own root vs grafted...again

Posted by cherrykist Z-7 NC (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 8:19

Are there any such cases in which grafted roses would be better than own root? For example I have heard that florist roses do better grafted than on own root. (I am trying to get my hands on a Red Intuition) I am also wanting a New Dawn but I want to make sure it will be successful on own root.

Tammy O.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Own root vs grafted...again

Yes, grafting to a nematode resistant rootstock may be advisable in areas with moist, sandy soil--it is such a common problem in some areas that there are nurseries that specialize in selling roses grafted on "Fort" or Fortuniana. Fortunately, it isn't an issue in New England, as Fortuniana can't take our winters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose diseases in North Carolina

o

There are definitely roses that need the added vigor a rootstock provides. They tend to be roses where the automatic default when they were introduced was grafting, so they never had to produce as own-root plants. Older hybrid teas often fit that description. New Dawn does not.

o

It has all to do with climate, soil and care. I doubt any hybrid tea does better ownroot in areas with cold winters and shorter growing season. The rootstock gives the plats a head start in spring and gives more robust plants. Much the same for most floribundas, modern climbers and shrubs with a lot of hybrid tea in them. There are always exceptions, and they are always (if I dare say always) the hardy strong growers. There is very little really good research on this fore many areas, mostly because it takes a lot of effort, time and money to do so; not to mention behavior of different rootstocks. I have family in France, and by the riviera there they can root any rose and it grows and flowers fine, I cannnot. Even robust rugosahybrids are known to grow taller on canina roots than ownroot, but they usually don't need the extra growth. A suitable rootstock can for examople make a rose do better in challenging situations like alcaline soil.

o

New Dawn will be fine own root. In my area, hybrid teas do best when grafted, especially grafted on R. multiflora rootstock. Hybrid teas are puny on their own roots, although a friend has a nice sized own-root Hot Princess.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here