Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Grafted vs. own root

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

I'm sure this topic has been addressed here before, but I am new to this forum. I grow mostly grafted hybrid tea and floribunda roses and would like to know from people who are experienced in growing own root roses if it takes longer for them to mature. I can learn patience, just want to know in advance what to expect.

Comments (13)

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

I posted a thread in the Antique Roses Forum on the same issue, entitled "Winners and losers for your soil/climate/rootstock". Check out what the breeder Kim Rupert wrote in that thread. See link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: winners and losers for soil/climate/rootstock

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

My experience (30 miles from your state border) is that own-roots are a bit slower to get going, but after about 3 years, there is not much difference between them. Possibly the grafted ones will be a bit more vigorous in some cases.

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

As Kate said, there are some roses that will just do better grafted. They were bred to be grafted and are very weak growers on their own roots. Otherwise the difference is a matter of an extra year or two to reach maturity. They will grow just as large as their grafted counter parts but it will take them a longer time to get there.

In cold zones they sometimes have the advantage of living through severe winters where roses die back all the way to the ground. In those cases the graft on budded roses can die off and you will be left growing the root stock instead. The own root rose, on the other hand, will come back from the roots true to it's variety.

They are both good roses and it's up to you to decide which you would prefer. I have some of both and I'm happy with them either way.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input, that will help me decide in the future. Right now I have only one own root rose, the climber Dublin Bay, I think I've had it about 6 years, I love it. Did have an own root climber Zephirine Drouhin planted in a shady spot and it was doing great too, but my neighbor killed it by mistake, planted a replacement this year on the other side of my house.

• debandroses
    10 years ago

From my experience own root grow much faster , have bigger blooms than grafted. I decided to plant own root Oklahoma next to grafted Oklahoma at the same time. My own root out grew and out performed the grafted , by a long shot.This is after a year.

• sandandsun
    10 years ago

I always try to be helpful here. It is often difficult to be entirely so because assumptions are made by me as well as the reader. But I would have to write a book rather than brief posts to eliminate as many as possible of both types of assumptions.

As those who've read my posts before know, I buy and plant own-roots exclusively (two exceptions to prove the rule).

From the Paul Zimmerman article linked below, I quote: "...bareroot plants can be two years old when you get them and some own-root bands can only be 6 months old."

Similarly, some own-roots can be older when purchased depending upon your source. And individual rose characteristics are just that - individual.

One of those characteristics is vigor. This vigor inherent to the individual rose will vary with climatic factors, etc. But given a good home (aka healthy soil and regular water) in a suitable climate, a well-chosen specimen should with time perform similarly within its preferred climate range.

It is the exception rather than the rule that own-roots will grow faster than budded (grafted) roses in the formative, getting established, early years. This certainly would be the exception for own-roots acquired as bands. Bands defined as: "young rooted cuttings."

Realistic expectations help prevent unnecessary disappointment and premature criticisms.

Here is a link that might be useful: How Soon Can You Prune A Young Rose?

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had already pretty much decided that I am going to plant more own root roses. There seem to be so many more varieties available that way. I appreciate the link to the pruning article, that will be helpful. The comparison of the 2 Oklahomas is interesting. Thanks everyone.

• rosesinny
    10 years ago

Well one last thing to consider is where you're buying your roses. If you get own-roots in bands, they may be like six months old, maybe a year.

But places like Chamblees sell them much bigger. There used to be a place in Michigan that didn't ship but that sold three year old own-root roses so that's just about what you'd get with a graft. Then it depended on you and your dirt. Typically however, the own-roots are smaller if you order them thru the mail - much easier to ship that way. If you buy locally, you can maybe get bigger plants.

So you're almost always at least a year behind if you buy thru the mail.

That said, I don't think I have any grafted plants any more. They all seem to have died.

In really cold places, you get a lot of dieback so it's good to have own-roots. Some people have a hard time getting them thru the first winter, but I kind of think that can be finessed. We have some in MI that die back pretty much to the ground every winter. They revive in spring and by now, which is bloom time, they're three to four feet tall and covered with blooms. That's the size I want them anyway, so I'm not complaining at all. It's pretty much perfect. In my house in NYC, it's a lot warmer so they get a lot bigger and I'm pruning hard every year rather than letting nature do it.

Good luck!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

My experience with own root hybrid teas hasn't been good. I prefer HTs grafted on R. multiflora rootstock. Minis, minifloras, and OGRs are OK own root. My newer shrub roses are also grafted on R. multiflora (from Palatine), and I couldn't be happier. R. multiflora rootstock isn't dependable in alkaline soils, so that might be a consideration. I no longer buy plants grafted on Dr. Huey rootstock.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate everyone's input. Diane, I did order some roses from Palatine for this spring, I am very impressed so far. My Liebeszaubers have bloomed and have put on several new canes already, the blooms were gorgeous. I wouldn't have ordered from them, but had tried to order from Pickering first, because I ordered from them a couple of years ago and was pleased, they weren't shipping to the US this year. I'm impressed with the R. multiflora rootstock so far. Also glad to know Chamblees own-root roses are a good size. Which companies use the Dr. Huey rootstock?I'm sure that is mostly what I have now.

• mgleason56
    10 years ago

Great Lakes Roses was the Michigan nursery that sold own roots that were up to 3 years in age. Let us not foget Roses Unlimited when it comes to really nice sized own root plants. I'd venture to guess all are at least a year old.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

sara--the nurseries that sell roses grafted on Dr. Huey? Everybody else. In other words, most of them--with some of the notable exceptions listed above.

Personally, doesn't make much difference to me whether my roses are own -root or grafted. They all grow well here. Perhaps there might be a weakly growing rose here or there that could use an extra-vigor boost by being grafted, but most of the ones I grow, it doesn't make any difference. Perhaps it makes a difference on the OGRS--I only grow a handful of them, so I couldn't say for sure. I guess those with alkaline soils have some problems with certain kinds of grafts--but that isn't a problem that most gardeners face.

Kate

• lola-lemon
    10 years ago

I am surprised to admit I most roses own root in my garden. They seem more even and possibly more vigorous after 2 years. Plus it just is so much easier not having to fret over my bud unions getting damage from borers, freeze thaw etc. My own roots are much broader plants at the base and have better overall shape by 3 years.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!