Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azzure08

my rose bush has mites

azzure08(zone8a)
10 years ago

MY bush has mites and it is driving me crazy, all the lower leaves have fallen off. All I have are the top leaves so the bush really does look sick I have been spraying natria made by bayer but it has been raining like cats and dogs this weekend and I am seeing a resurgence of the mites Could I just do an extreme pruning job on it to get the mites to go away. this is my first rose bush and I would love to keep it but not with the mites. I also don't want the mites to spread everywhere since I have a container garden. I did receive two new rose bushes that I really don't want the mites to spread to.

Comments (7)

• Maude80
    10 years ago

I had a problem with spider mites when I was growing my baby cuttings inside on a window, but the moment I planted them outside, the mites were gone. When I had them inside, I would take them to the sink every day and spray them the leaves with water, and that seemed to get rid of them. Maybe you could hose them down every morning.

I've also heard that preying mantis were good for eliminating spider mites.

Also, are you positive that it's mites?

Maude

• azzure08(zone8a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes ma'am I can see them and I looked it up and that is what they are Unfortunately I live in a apartment that is a townhouse style. It doesn't have an outside hose faucet which is really annoying haha. thank you for the advice
    -Anita

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Use a large spray bottle of water then, fill it in the kitchen sink, then go outside and spray the foliage top and bottom every morning for a couple of weeks. Put a little effort into your rose if you want results.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

Is the rose under an overhang? It shouldn't need any sort of hosing, spraying, or watering if it's been raining hard and the rose is out in the rain.

If the rose isn't out in the rain, move it.

If it can't go out in the rain, it sounds like it needs a lot more water than it is getting. Possibly it is pot bound, also.

• azzure08(zone8a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you for the advice it is not under a overhang we had a tropical storm came through this weekend and it has done nothing but I will try the the spray bottle and see if it is pot bound.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

Water, water, water. Once hot weather sets in I stick my thumb on the hose end and water the undersides, then the tops of all my rose. Spider Mites hate water and will go to a neighbor down the steet somewhere. Ever since I started this several years ago, I've never been bothered by them.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Another thing that seems to set spider mites free to reproduce like bunnies is continuing use of insecticides.

If you kill all of the insects, both good ones and bad ones, there are no good bugs left to eat the mites. (They are not insects, you see -- they are arachnids. Insecticides don't kill them.)

Anyhow, your Natria is just canola oil. I don't think I'd depend upon it.

Can you put the rose out in the rain???

Jeri