Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunflowersrus222

Anyone have a Fragrant plum heirloom rose?

sunflowersrus222
10 years ago

I recently ordered this rose to put near my purple colored butterfly bush and a deep purple clematis. I thought the color would work nicely along side these other plants. Does anyone else have one and if so have you had any success or problems? Please share photos. I've only seen photos of these online on the web site but they are just of the blooms. I just couldn't resist buying this after seeing the beautiful color on the heirloom website. I haven't had any luck finding anything in my area in the garden stores so have to buy online. Most of what I find in the stores here are the pink or red knock out roses and they are everywhere in my town but not what I want.

Comments (13)

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

I agree the colors would likely go well, but unfortunately, they may not have much overlap in occurrence. As far as I remember from my garden on Long Island, Buddleia blooms after the main rose bloom -- and since "Fragrant Plum" is a once-bloomer, that means they'll miss each other.

Clematis bloom will depend on what kind of clematis you bought. Generally, the Type-2 clematis had some overlap of bloom for me with the first round of rose blooms (which included once-bloomers), then would pause just as the Buddleia started flowering, and resume later in the season (while the Buddleia would still be flowering). Type-3 clematis generally started blooming around the time of the Buddleia (which meant late June to July for me when I was on Long Island, and thus after the first rose bloom), and continued through most of the rest of the Summer and into Autumn (depending on which one).

I don't know of any purple Type-1 clematis so I didn't mention them -- are there any?

If you were looking to have a "purple element" throughout the season in this bed, then you will succeed by using these three plants. But as far as "going together", I think the rose and Buddleia will take turns dancing with the clematis but not each other.

:-)

~Christopher

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

Fragrant Plum should not be a "once bloomer", it is a hybrid tea, and should give 3 - 4 flushes a year. And, you can work on the timing of the bloom cycles by doing some creative pruning of the plant (but, wait until it matures).

Here, hybrid teas on their own roots take longer to mature than grafted plants, so don't be surprised if it is not robust the first couple of years.

I had one (grafted on Dr. Huey) a long time ago. It didn't do well because I didn't know much about fungicide treatments at the time. Fragrant Plum was not disease resistant in my garden. It can have lovely blooms.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Actually, FP is a grandiflora. Mine gets pretty tall. Reaches at least 5ft. Beautiful mave blooms with a plum-ish blush on the edges. Decent repeat.

{{gwi:285369}}

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Beth. I've read on the description for the one I ordered..provided they send me the rose I ordered, that they get quite tall and it says its a continuous bloomer. I just didn't want another rose bush that only bloomed once. I have 2 of those already. Have to dig up one and get rid of it because it has a virus that will spread to my other plants.

Doesn't matter to me if everything blooms together or not. I'm just trying to stay withing the same color scheme for this particular area in my yard. I plan on adding white low growing flowers of some kind around the base of this bed but towards the front. Then the plum and purple colors will really pop when they are in bloom. The other side of my yard is all red tones.

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pat that is absolutely beautiful! I'm not sure but think that I may have had this rose many years ago. My father bought it for me. Problem is we had a very harsh winter that year and we lost almost everything in our yard. Nothing kills off a garden like a month of ice storms. Being new to gardening and roses I had no idea that I could have wrapped them and saved them. I have a neighbor who used to own a nursery and she wraps all of her rose bushes at the base with burlap.

Anyway Pat your roses is stunning. The color is amazing! Isn't it wonderful when you save a plant like that? My mother used to that. She would go for a walk and find perfectly good plants people put out to the trash and would bring them home, trim them a bit and bring them back to their full glory.

• jennie8907
    10 years ago

Hi I am a beginner rose gardener and I was wondering if I can get some help on how to sow my fragrant plum seeds? My seeds came with weird instructions on how to sow but I really want a second opinion because I find it hard to believe pouring bleach on the soil would help the seeds at all. I live in east texas.

• erasmus_gw
    10 years ago

Mine is an own-root plant and not yet planted in the ground, but it had good repeat last year and the blooms were gorgeous. It seems to have good vigor. I think own root ht's do best grown on in pots, potting up into fairly large pots before planting in the ground. Once a good size, I think they can thrive as well as a grafted ht. I am debating whether mine is ready to go in the ground. I think it's in a 3 gallon pot.
    I think white low growing plants would look great with it, also there is a light mauve wave petunia that has incredible vigor and is constantly in bloom.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

Looking back at my post from last year, I realize now that I was thinking of "Double Plum" rather than 'Fragrant Plum'. The former is a once-blooming Hybrid China. The latter is a Hybrid Tea or Grandiflora. I think what threw me was the "heirloom rose" part of the description -- I wouldn't have thought a rose from 1990 would be an heirloom variety. Sorry for the confusion.

:-)

~Christopher

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Rose seeds are not like flower seeds that will sprout more flowers like themselves. If your rose seeds sprout you will get a rose. But not a copy of the plant it came from

If you want that rose you will need to buy it or start from a cutting of it

If you want to grow roses from seed, there are instructions on line

• henryinct
    10 years ago

I have Fragrant Plum. It is a very vigorous spreading purple of medium height not unlike Heirloom or Royal Amethyst (which I also have). It is a heavy bloomer and extremely fragrant. Back in CT it was very prone to BS but not here in SoCal although it does mildew a bit.

• Vicissitudezz
    10 years ago

Hi Jennie-

This link might be helpful for you. Some of the folks who have grown roses from seed may be able to advise you better about whether bleach is necessary, although I believe the instructions at the link below just advise hydrogen peroxide.

As mentioned, roses don't "come true" from seed, so your seedlings may or may not look much like 'Fragrant Plum'. Since you already have the seeds, why not plant them to see what you get? Maybe you'll like it even better- who knows?

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link on growing rose seeds

• Donna James
    last year

Is the fragrant plum a thorny rose?

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x