Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

Regan Bushes Have Week's Tags?

Laurie
11 years ago

I just noticed that a couple of the bushes I ordered from Regan, have Week Roses tags on them.

Why would this be? Are they affiliated with each other?

Thanks.

Comments (7)

• michaelg
    11 years ago

Regan is a retailer. They buy plants from wherever, including Pickering, Hortico, Star, Weeks, and small operators.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Michael. I didn't realize that. One of them actually has a tag that says Regan on it, but I saw it also says Star Roses, 2 said Weeks, and I lost the last one. I just today noticed it.

• roseblush1
    11 years ago

I was very unimpressed with the bare root roses carrying the Weeks tags at our local nursery this year. The root system was no where near the quality of the Weeks roses I have purchased in the past.

To me, just because a rose may carry a Weeks tag, that does NOT mean that it's necessarily a solid plant.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• anntn6b
    11 years ago

Remember the chats about grades of roses?

Not all bushes are #1s.

Nor are Canadian grades the same as USA grades.

Welcome to the brave new world of roses.

• windeaux
    11 years ago

Ann is absolutely correct about the brave new world of roses -- especially when it comes to bareroots. What was the norm in fairly recent seasons past is definitely NOT the norm today. One shudders to think about seasons to come . . .

Micheal: Regan sells roses from Pickering? I did not know that. I assume those must be on Multiflora rootstock. Does the Pickering tag remain on the roses when they reach the consumer?

• Laurie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have to say, the 2 with the Weeks tags really were lagging behind. One is Tropicana, it's kind of puny in comparison to others I have right now. The other is Neptune, which took FOREVER to leaf out, and it was in a prime spot in the garden. So, can't say I'm impressed yet with either of them. The Star rose which I got from them, Papa Meilland, seems to be the wrong rose completely (I've grown it before, and it does not look anything like it, or smell like it). I'm waiting on a response from the nursery about that. And the last one, Valencia, well - I'm pretty sure that one was my fault - planted it in a bad spot and had to move it a week later and it's taken 2 months for it to recover. It's just barely leafed out but alive, at least. I do not remember off hand what tag that one has on it.

• flaurabunda
    11 years ago

Well, I had the same experience with our Tropicana and Neptune. They lagged behind everyone else in their first year and I had, maybe, 2 blooms on Tropicana and only 1 on Neptune.

This year, Tropicana's in its 4th year and I can't control it's growth. It is well over 7 feet tall now and blooms like crazy, but also has a tendency to catch whatever fungal disease it thinks will drive its gardener to madness.

Neptune is entering its 2nd year in our garden and still....only 1 bloom so far. It is, however, picking up speed. Yesterday I think I counted 4 or 5 buds ready to open in the next few days. It seems to be doing fine but it's just a little slower than its neighbors.