Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunflowersrus222

should I replant or move my rose bush?

sunflowersrus222
10 years ago

I planted an own-root fragrant plum rose a couple of days ago and not long after I planted it my neighbor decided to run her sprinkler. Its one of those sprinklers that arches. She refuses to turn it down so it doesn't reach 4 feet into my yard. I was worried my rose bush would get black spots from all of her watering so moved it to the other side of my yard. Now its raining and I noticed the water is ponding around this rose bush. I had thought that I elevated it enough but apparently not. When I planted it in this new spot I made sure it was raised and I watered it really well after planting. Now I see rain water is ponding around this rose bush. Should I dig it up AGAIN and add more soil in this area and then put it back in the ground in essence raising it up? Or should I just put more soil and mulch around where it is planted now? Is it ok to disturb it so many times?

edited to add that now that it has stopped raining the pool of water is gone. I have a few other rose bushes on this same line of flower bed and they always did well. My guess is that the soil sunk down around this rose bush that I just planted and I'll fill it in and add mulch. That should help stop the pooling of rain water around the rose I'm guessing. Just got me freaked out seeing all of that water sitting around the base of my new rose bush I didn't want to lose it.

This post was edited by sunflowersrus222 on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 9:36

Comments (6)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Wishing your rose well.

For the record, yes, a rose can be planted and moved several times and still grow and even thrive--eventually. All that moving will slow down the rose, but if the roots didn't get badly damaged with each move, it will recover--with some TLC (water--and some temporary sunshade if it is terribly hot).

Kate

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Also wishing your rose well... :)

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think what I'll do is use my spade to lift it up. I'll lift it and pile more soil underneath to raise it up a few more inches and pack more soil and mulch all around. It seems to have sunk down where I planted it. The water does go down but it was a shock to see this big pool of water around this one new rose bush. All of the others I just planted looked fine. Just this one sunk on me. I must have had a big air pocket in there before putting in the rose. Even after pushing down on the soil it didn't sink much. Now after this heavy down pour I can see it sagging downward. gerrr Too muddy to do anything in my yard today.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Did you already bury the bud union? If so then maybe you would want to lift it. If not you can just pile soil up around the bud union. That will give it better protection for winter anyway.

And just for the record, over head watering does not cause black spot. The fungal spores are already present and only need the right weather conditions to germinate. Mother Nature rains on them from over head day and night and the black spot doesn't happen until the conditions are right for it. And it goes away once those conditions change again.

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seil I lifted it up and added soil underneath and then put it back into the hole. Its raised up a bit more now and looks good.

I have another question for you. Another rose I planted near this one at the same time now has a couple of yellow leaves. The others I planted along the same flower bed are looking nice and green and already showing new growth. This one in particular is called the Just Joey. The soil is still pretty wet from a couple of days of heavy rain so i doubt its thirsty. Could these just be older leaves getting ready to drop? There are no spots or lines. The leaves are just yellowing as if they are old. These are all own-root about 6 inches tall. Just this one is not looking as good as the others. Am I just over reacting? Is this normal in such a young plant?

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wish I could get these photos onto my computer from my phone. My usb cable for my cell looks like it needs to be replaced.

Anyway, I just took a photo of the leaves since I keep forgetting exactly what they look like by the time I get to my computer. The leaves DO have yellowing veins and some black spots. The outer edges of the leaves are still green but the veins are yellowing. Is this the sign of a deficiency?