Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madri_gw

Are these suckers

madri_gw
9 years ago

Hi all, I have a rose bush that I got at SAMs club, it is supposed to be Tropicana. I got 3 others with it. The other 3 are flowering but this one has long canes that are just growing with no signs of flowering.
It's strange because one of my friends also got the same Tropicana bush from a different but near by SAMs club and hers is doing the same thing, no flowers but very long canes. Was it a grafting error with theses being suckers from the rootstock.
Thanks, Madri

Comments (10)

• madri_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another pic.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I think what has happened is that your Tropicana has died off and what's coming up now is the root stock. It's probably Dr. Huey, a dark red once blooming climber. If you leave it you won't see blooms until next year. When did you get it? If you just bought it this spring I'd take it back.

• madri_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also could some one let me know how I could post multiple pictures in one message. I can only post 1 picture at a time.
    Thanks

• madri_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Seil for your prompt response. Yes I got it this spring. What surprised me is my friends plant is doing the same thing. I suspect it was a badly grafted batch of plants. Will they take it back if I return?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Some of the canes look like they are coming from above ground, sprouting from older canes. Is that correct? That would typically NOT be rootstock, unless the old canes are also rootstock.

Can you show the areas from which the canes emerge?

Looking at the 2nd picture, that plant was in pretty rough shape when you purchased it.

• madri_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes Hoovb, they are coming from above the ground that's what surprised me as well. They are all coming from the old canes. I am suspecting that the old canes are root stock as well. Probably a bad batch of Tropicanas as it did the same with my friends plant. Will send a clear picture.
    Thanks, Madri

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Good photo. Could indeed be a bad batch. The canes do look Dr Huey-esque, but you never know.

If you have the room and inclination, you could give it the rest of the growing season, just in case.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Have you gotten a lot of rain? Bet that plant had extra fertilizer to get it ready for the box store and with some rain...zing it is growing lots of canes.

But, looks like they are all above the graft. Maybe the real issue is that it is not Dr Huey, but a mislabeled rose and that is the normal growth pattern

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Shoots from the graft and above cannot be rootstock unless they grafted rootstock on rootstock.

Tropicana has dark matte foliage, while Dr. Huey has glossy. Yours appears to be matte.

Tropicana has an awkward plant habit and does throw some long canes. Or it could be the climbing sport of Tropicana. Ordinarily I would expect most roses to have flower buds by this time of the year, but I wouldn't give up on it just yet. If it is the climber, canes might grow 7-8' before blooming.

This post was edited by michaelg on Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 16:14

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I posted after seeing only your first photo. After looking at the newer pictures and close ups I rescind my first statement. If those canes are coming from ABOVE the graft, which they appear to be, they are probably Tropicana. They are just new young canes. I would wait and see if they bloom before doing anything else with it.

In order to post more than one picture at a time you have to put your photos on some kind of photo hosting site like Photobucket, Shutterfly or Picture Trail. Then from there you would copy and paste the HTML code into your post. You can post as many as you want that way.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida