Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karolina11_gw

An update on the home, RU sale, and questions on own root Austins

Karolina11
10 years ago

Hey everyone!
Just a quick update - I had been told in January that our backyard was going to get ripped up to expand the sewer pipe running through our property. We had been throwing around the idea of moving closer to family for awhile and that was the straw that broke the camel's back. We put it on the market and sold that house in two days! We were quite lucky in that part.

We then proceeded to look in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania which is slightly east of central PA. I was convinced we weren't going to get anything at all considering my fiance wanted something close to a grocery store, the mall, his family, and other conveniences, and I wanted something with at least three acres. Imagine our surprise when we fell in love with the first place we looked at! We looked at others afterward but kept going back to the first page. It is small, but there is only the two of us so we don't need anything big, and more importantly, it fit our main criteria. It was within ten minutes of his family and was just slightly over three acres. Other benefits I got - it is all full sun, flat land. It has large evergreens posted around the boundary line which is very important to me as Lycoming County is littered with multiflora all throughout and this at least provided a windbreak on all sides. It also has perfect slightly acidic loam soil with great drainage! No more heavy heavy clay! Plus the neighborhood has many horses so maybe I can score some natural fertilizer! I could not love the lot more. At this point, the appraisal and inspections are all done and we are just waiting for the final things to get done in order to close on the house in mid July.

To celebrate, I of course had to look at Roses Unlimited sale and ended up with the following:

Angel Face
Purple Splash
Prairie Lass
Serendipity
September Song
Christopher Marlowe
Darcey Bussell
Easy Does It

Ivory Tower
Apricot Candy
Apricot Queen
Lagerfeld
Scarlet Knight
Dakota Sun
Toscana Vigorosa

Carefree Wonder
Catherine Guelda
Cloud Nine
Limoncello
Madame Figaro

Outta the Blue
Regina Louise
St. Exupery
Mortimer Sackler

Billard et Barre
Square Dancer

Rural Rhythm
Prairie Valor
Prairie Star
Prairie Harvest
Incredible

Souv. de Louis Amade

Now for my actual question. I am looking at adding some Austins and Chamblees has a few nice ones and Heirloom hopefully will have their end of the season sale at the end of the summer too so while I make up my list - Are there any austins that are terrible own roots in acidic soil? I already have Dove ownroot so don't need to make that mistake again. I know this can go in the Antique forum but I wanted to share my RU order and those don't fit there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again for all of the kind words and I am greatly looking forward to gardening again soon!

Comments (11)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

It isn't the soil that is going to make the own-roots bomb, but the climate. I don't know where you are coming from, but it sounds like you are moving north. You don't have to go too far north before you run into places that dieback roses aren't going to be able to handle the conditions. The summers aren't long enough or hot enough for the roses to grow back from the amount of winterkill they get.

• Karolina11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good to know gallica! For some reason I thought I read that, like rootstock, certain own roots prefer different soil pH along with other conditions. Thankfully I will be staying in zone 6b like our last house was in and have had no issues with own roots or grafted roses. Unfortunately some of the own roots are still not very strong growers. I wouldn't dare move to a colder environment, I wish my growing season was longer as it is! I don't know how you zone 5 and 4ers do it.

Thanks for the tip!

• TNY78
    10 years ago

I also have slightly acidic soil, although it is heavy clay as well. I'm on the 6b/7a line. I can tell you which of my ownroot Austins don't do well own root here: Strawberry Hill, Leander, Geoff Hamilton, & Cordelia. If you're moving into slightly acidic soil, you may also look at getting some Austins grafted onto multiflora (Palatine & Hortico). My grafted ones seem to do very well compared to my own root ones...and I'm normally a fan of own root.

Tammy

I had to come back and add that you placed quite an order! you'll have a whole day of TRYING to get them out of the boxes haha! I love Roses Unlimited and just ordered 14 more myself, but their packing is a beast!

This post was edited by TNY78 on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 21:11

• Karolina11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tammy and Seil, thank you very much for listing the ones that do work/not work for you. Definitely helps narrow down what I am ordering from where.

Tammy, have you had good luck from Hortico? I have loved Palatine but never tried Hortico from what I have heard. Too bad about Geoff Hamilton, he was on my list. Guess he will have to wait until bareroot season. Thanks for the packing tip too!

Seil, how big has your own root Golden Celebration grown? I see some huge ones on here but a lot of them are in much warmer zones.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

You really need to include Molineux and either Shakespeare 2000 or Munstead Wood (depending on how large or small you want your dark purple-red to be). If you order from David Austin, they will come grafted on Dr. Huey. But my three Molineux came own-root from Chamblees and are doing fine.

Myself, I don't worry much, one way or another, about whether my roses are grafted, on what, own root, etc. Very occasionally I find out a rose is kinda wimpish and is own root, so I might deliberately go out of my way to find a grafted version (I'm not fussy on what)--or I might just settle for whatever is most convenient or cheapest. Mostly I wouldn't think too much about it either way.

Kate

• TNY78
    10 years ago

Karolina, I know Hortico may have been bad in the past, but for the past three years that I've been ordering from them, they've been wonderful! Their plants are generally smaller than Palatine and Pickering, but if one is exceptionally small, they charge a reduced price. I ordered 17 this year, and every one was available to ship and was the correct variety. Really nice customer service people as well. There was a customs holdup when my order went to cross the US/Canadian boarder, and then UPS made an error, none of which was Horico's fault, but they stayed in constant touch with me regaurding the shipment. So if you do order, it is worth paying the additional cost for air freight. :)

Tammy

• hartwood
    10 years ago

Most of the 36 roses in my DA garden are on their own roots ... now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure they all are. Anyway, as of yesterday, there are some pretty stellar performers that aren't talked about much.

The star of the show is 'Sir Clough'. It reminds me of 'Carefree Beauty' somewhat, but the foliage is better, the habit is better, and the flowers are a warmer, more pleasing shade of hot pink. Visitors rarely fail to mention that "wonderful dark pink rose in your Austin Garden."

'Comte de Champagne' is beside 'Sir Clough'. It's a soft yellow (similar to Buff Beauty's color), low petal count, cupped flowers, very disease resistant.

'Bow Bells' was planted directly into the garden as a band in October 2011. It is now 5' tall, dense, and super vigorous and healthy.

'Marinette' was planted in 2012, also as a band without nursing it in a pot. Rooted it myself from a cutting. It is doing beautifully.

Those are the ones that I can remember off the top of my head. Sometimes, the only way to know that a rose will work for you in your garden under your growing conditions is to just buy it and see what happens. This is how some of my most favorite lucky accidents have happened.

Congratulations on your new home!

• Karolina11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kate, great to know about Molineaux as that one is on the top of my list. Which one gets bigger for you - WS2000 or Munstead Wood? Is there a significant difference in bloom repetition or are they both good there?

Tammy, thanks for the information on Hortico. I will have to try them this year, especially if Pickering is still not available to us.

Hartwood, thank you for the suggestions! I have not seen a lot of information on a few of those so that helps to hear. I also plant bands straight into the ground (I travel a lot so can't always be around to water pots as frequently as needed) so your suggestions are very valuable to me. Definitely have to go look for 'Comte de Champagne' this asap.

Thank you everyone!

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

I'm in Tyrone Pa (Central Pa). I did not have much luck
    with outta the blue or easy does it... They blackspotted badly here. (no spray)...
    But your strain of BS may be different in your area...?

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I can't help you with info on roses, but just wanted to say how happy I am for you. It sounds as though you got everything you wanted in a home, and beginning a new garden is always so exciting.

Ingrid