Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meltednorthpole

Need suggestions for spray

meltednorthpole
10 years ago

Can anybody can suggest a bee friendly spray for roses? I am going to stop using "Bayers."

Also, how about a good spray for mites?

Thanks in advance!

Jane

Comments (5)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

My understanding is that the Bayer fungicide (not the Bayer 3-in-1 or 2-in-1) is not harmful to bees, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable about that will come along and verify my observation.

It is also my understanding the our "experts" on the forum do not recommend spraying for mites -- tends to kill off the "good" insects also--and then there is nothing left to gobble up the bad ones. But again, someone else will need to verify my statements. I'm hardly the "expert" on these matters, but if the mites you have in mind are the ones that spread RRD, then No, there is nothing you can spray that will stop or cure RRD. Or if you mean spider mites (kinda early for them, isn't it?), spray a strong blast of water out of your hose on the undersides of the rose leaves, especially down low on the plant or wherever you see wispy weblike stuff.

Kate

• meltednorthpole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the information Kate.

Yes, I was trying to spray for mites. I had some bad luck past year and had to dig out 9 roses due to RRD. I guess that I just have to keep a closer look with whatever that I have left. :(

Jing

• meltednorthpole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the information Kate.

Yes, I was trying to spray for mites. I had some bad luck past year and had to dig out 9 roses due to RRD. I guess that I just have to keep a closer look with whatever that I have left. :(

Jing

{{!gwi}}

• michaelg
    10 years ago

"My understanding is that the Bayer fungicide (not the Bayer 3-in-1 or 2-in-1) is not harmful to bees."

Kate is right, the Bayer tebuconazole (Disease Control for Roses, Flowers and Shrubs) is rated a minimal hazard to bees, birds, and earthworms. It is a significant hazard to aquatic creatures--keep it away from streams and ponds.

• meltednorthpole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! I got lazy this year and used the Bayer Advanced 3 in 1(because I didn't have to spray, I just add water and pour it around the roots,) and now I am feeling guilty about it.