Absolute best cutting rose

teka2rjleffel
16 years ago

Here are the priorities:

Long lasting in the vase

Can handle the heat

Bush is full

Disease resistant (I do spray)

Fragrance, nice if it's there. No biggie if not.

Thanks.

Nancy

Comments (47)

• msjam2
    16 years ago

Sunset Celebration
    Tournament of Roses
    Tuscan Sun
    Granada
    Louise Odier

• trepadora
    16 years ago

the best for me,
    Don Juan(just wounderful)!!
    French Lace
    Peace
    Fragrance Cloud

O.K,
    Paul Neyron
    Mrs. b. cant
    Henry Nevard

and non of the David Austin roses.

• liane_z4_canada
    16 years ago

Osiana is new so I can't say to much yet (lorist rose from Hortico). I am looking at the leaves waiting for a bud. I have others that I like my longest lasting are Imperatrice Fara (she can be a bit of a freek opening green then turning white and the petals tan red. Perfect moment is yellow with a red edge and it lasts very well. Both have little in the way of fragrance. I also like Folkore for the shape and color but the stems can be short. Tropicana seems to be producing more that last year, loud but I am okay with that.
    For sent in a vase I try to have some Alec's Red and Blue Nyle. They are amazing for fragrance yet do not last well.
    I am trying to remember about lady X. I think it had little for fragrance but bloomed so mutch that I always had some someplace.
    My absolute favorite is Sir Wilfred Laurier but it is just about impossible to find. It is sold as a cliber but I grow it as a tall bush (short growing season).
    Another I got from Hortico is Henri Matisse. It is a red and white striped rose. No sent but diffent and eye catching. It does not last as long as other like Imp. Farah but still cool in a vase.
    I also have one that I can't spell Leizauber I think, good steady red.
    Now I have added others that have not bloomed yet on advice of others with very much the same look for's as you.
    They are maid of honor and day breaker (floribunda with long vase life... I will let you know).
    I like Pascali for white but it gets small in the heat. I find I have a hard time keeping a nice clean white and this one is very good for me with a perfect all be it small shape.

Imperatrice Farah
    {{gwi:286065}}

lady X

Folklore:

Henri Matisse and Leizauber

Pascali

Alec's Red

Sir Wilfred Laurier (must be sold under another name also with Blue Nile and Pascali

Well these are some of my favorites, I don't have a good shopt of Perfect Moment but you can look for that one on Help me find.
    Hope this helps,
    Liane

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    16 years ago

You did say cutting rose. So if you cut them in time Rouge Royale will fill the bill. But it will be your bad if you let them age on the bush....Tineke is a good white that keeps forever and seems to perk up once the cool weather of spring has passed. But then you are zone 10, so maybe you don't have ANY cool weather and it would be happy all the time (it is a florists rose).

• aurora1701e
    16 years ago

Veteran's Honor
    Black Magic
    Touch Of Class
    Fragrant Cloud
    Memorial Day
    Olympiad

Jeff

• mike_in_new_orleans
    16 years ago

Veteran's Honor
    Valencia
    Fragrant Plum
    Bride's Dream
    Touch of Class
    Olympiad
    St Patrick
    Helmut Schmidt
    Moonstrone

All of these have long stems, good holding power, are at least 4 inches in diameter and have very good HT form. The first 3 are also pretty fragrant. FP really lives up to its name.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

I have to spray all HTs here but the absolute best for me are Hot Princess and Ginger Hill. TOC and Gemini run close second, and Neptune if I cut it on the tight side.

• bettym_grow
    16 years ago

Leonidas - Chocolate, orangish, cream
    Veteran Honor - Red, with BIG blooms
    Dorcas (Buck) - Pink, slight yellow towards center.
    Mountbatten - creamy yellow butter
    And the ever (in)famous Tropicana - orange.

Betty

• tenor_peggy
    16 years ago

I can't tell ya how it does in our heat (I grew this one back up north) but the BEST cut flower in that garden was the mini Irresistible! It had long canes, was fragrant and it lasted forever in a vase.

• canadian_rose
    16 years ago

I really like Elizabeth Taylor as a cutting rose - no fragrance, but really holds its form and lasts a long time.

Carol

• knash6
    16 years ago

Peter Mayle! Man, I miss that rose....:-(

Kristi

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Milestone, Gypsy Carnival, Attache and Imperatrice Farrah if and when it blooms.

• rosedave
    16 years ago

Dolly Parton
    Veteran's Honor
    Fragrant Cloud
    Belinda's Dream
    Moonstone
    The Mccartney Rose

• peachiekean
    16 years ago

Roses I have had in the past and also now that are good for cutting and keeping a long vase life:
    Chrysler Imperial
    Sunset Celebration
    Double Delight
    Julie Newmar
    Irish Hope
    Teasing Georgia - I know, it's an Austin but throughout this spring I've been cutting them for bouquets to take to work.

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

I lean more toward the antiques, so I'd say my favorites for cutting are 'Archiduchesse Elisabeth d'Autriche' & 'Souvenir de la Malmaison'

Randy

• jont1
    16 years ago

Veterans' Honor, Moonstone, Imperatrice Farah, Tabatha, Hot Princess, and Cesar E. Chavez/Beloved are my best, .
    John

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    16 years ago

Tiffany holds up pretty well here. Belami too.

{{gwi:211574}}

• homenovice
    16 years ago

Fame - almost red or deep hot pink
    St Patrick - yellow
    Belinda's Dream - pink
    Graham Thomas - if cut in the just opening stage
    Double Delight - red/cream blend
    Bolero - white with blush

• gdooley
    16 years ago

Elina, Kentucky Derby, Sunset Celebration, Moonstone, Bride's Dream, Flo Nelson, Perfume Delight, Calico, St. Patrick, Tiffany

• lorinscott_1
    16 years ago

{{gwi:286071}}
    Double Delight, Queen Elizabeth, Angel Face and a yellow rose that was a gift a few years ago....the giver removed the name tag, so I don't know what it is. Rainbow Sorbet and Mr. Lincoln are good for me, too....smell good and lasts in the vase.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    16 years ago

Veterans' Honor

• luxrosa
    16 years ago

During our hot summers, these roses by far remain on the bush longest and last 5 days or more in the vase when cut as soon as the sepals bend south.

"Alpine Sunset" really pretty and should be grown more, I feel. Large blooms on a medium sized, fairly bushy plant. Healthy too.

The following need a lot of heat to open fully, but we have that,
    "Betty White"
    "Moonstone"
    "Toulouse Latrec"
    "Yves Piaget"
    Best vase life of all our 167 cultivars, a rose my mom gave me years ago:
    "Tournament of Roses"
    Lux.

• ehann
    16 years ago

It didn't get any mentions but Ingrid Bergman is an excellent rose for cutting. Very thick velvety petals, holds its color well and lasts for about five days. Mild fragrance at least as good as Veteran's Honor, to my nose anyway. Mine is on fortuniana so maybe that explains the super vigor.

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

Photo of my best two cutting roses in a vase together ... 'Archiduchesse Elisabeth d'Autriche' & 'Souvenir de la Malmaison'

Randy

{{gwi:286072}}

• triple_b
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh I love the 'old rose' form! So luscious looking. You just want to bury your nose it it. The cup shape invites smelling. SO soft-looking! Beautiful bouquet.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Some of everything....

• patricianat
    16 years ago

{{gwi:265638}}

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    16 years ago

I have found over the years that Pascali and Prominent are very good cut flowers.

• august
    16 years ago

Stainless Steel is my absolute favorite cutting rose. I am in the first flush of my new bareroot plants (the previous plant I had of SS was ownrooted from Michael's way back when), and I am impressed with the subtle color. I thought it was going to be somewhat corpsely, but the big, substantial petals are in fact graceful combinations of bone-white bleeding into palest mauve at the edges-- and the heart of the blossom, still tightly packed, is a tone reminiscent of Sterling Silver and Distant Drums. The fragrance is big, and it travels in the afternoon once the petals are warmed up in the sunlight. Canes are long and strong, but I also use Pro-Tekt, which seems to be contributing a lot to my plants these days.

Get Stainless Steel.

• jlalfred
    16 years ago

I just had Veterans Honor and Black Magic on my
    desk together. They were picked (cut) at the same time
    at about the same stage. Black Magic out lasted
    VH by over a day. To me: Veterans Honor has the
    perfect bud. Black Magic is the perfect rose.
    Of course Red is where it's at. I like blends too.
    Cherry Parfiet, Cabana, Scentimental.

John

• teka2rjleffel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Roseleaf, what is the fuschia colored rose in the top right corner of the last photo? It's lovely. I'm looking for something that color.
    Nancy

• roseleaf
    16 years ago

Nancy, it's Peter Mayle.

• Zyperiris
    16 years ago

What is a Lorist rose?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Did you mean "florist" rose? That's referring to a rose (most are hybrid teas) that is primarily grown for the florist trade. Not usually available to the home grower, but there was a vendor, Carlton, now closed, that did provide some plants for the home grower. K&M Nursery sells some florist varieties (on fortuniana rootstock) and Moore's Roses (own-root) and Wisconsin Roses (multiflora) also have a few varieties.

• dwightri
    16 years ago

When I cut roses should they instantly be placed in water & does re-cutting the stem every day prolong roses?

• peachiekean
    16 years ago

I forgot to mention another Austin that cuts and holds a bit longer than you would think - Wm. Shakespeare 2000. I cut it with about 5 inches of stem and mass in a short vase; four should do it. Beautiful, smells divine and holds about 4-5 days for me. Another one that works well like this one is Bolero.
    {{gwi:286077}}

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Just for sake of clarification: we are talking good, LONG LASTING CUT flowers. Because I love SDLM but it has never been a good cut flower for me. I never even cut Elle because it blows so fast.

Below I list not my absolute favorites but a few that are good cut flowers for me (in some cases the two are the same)

Here are a few roses I love for cutting.

Papa Meilland if cut in tight bud (1 week-10 days)

Rouge Royale - if cut in tight bud
    Bride's dream - if it is not damaged by thrips
    Valencia
    Arizona
    Floral Fairy Tale (to my surprise because it is a shrub or flori not a HT)
    Osiana
    Imperatrice Farah
    Black Baccara
    Tineke
    Karen Blixen (not always but often)
    Frederic Mistral
    Memorial Day

• michaelg
    16 years ago

Dwight, either cut roses should immediately be put in water or they should be rehydrated in an acid solution-- say warm water with some lemon juice. Cutting the stems every day prolongs life because bacterial debris clogs the cut end. Alternatively, control the bacteria with 1/4 tsp bleach per quart (measure carefully) and change to fresh solution after 3-4 days.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    16 years ago

I have had good luck with Prominent as a cut flower. It isn't typically a large rose, but it has good form, lasts 10-14 days when cut, refrigerates well, and would work well in an arrangement.

• learntogarden
    16 years ago

Any of the roses found in the attached link (photo album section) hold up well as you mention. However, of all of them, I'd have to say Veteran's Honor is the best of all followed by St. Patrick!

Here is a link that might be useful: Perennial And Rose Gardening

• zippitydoodaday
    16 years ago

Veteran's Honor lasts the longest while keeping it's form. Copper pennies (need to collect pennies from the 60's and earlier when they still had copper in them) really help with keeping the water fresh and bacteria free.

• cjrosaphile
    16 years ago

For those loving Austins but not their wilting nature in the vase, I have found that an Austin-like rose, Braveheart, to last a long time for me. Don't like the shrub shape of this rose, but those blooms are like heaven for me. I float them in red wine glasses and they are spectacular. CJ

• julie22
    16 years ago

For me the longest in a vase has been:

Love & Peace
    Touch of Class
    Hot Cocoa
    Double Delight
    Julia Child

It is good to hear that some on my "want" list are also listed here such as Elizabeth Taylor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening and Other Stuff

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

My very longest lasting cutting rose is the old John S. Armstrong hybrid tea. For 10-12 days, I'll be removing spent blooms when refreshing bouquets and JSA is still perfect. Must be part polyester or something! No scent though. Another rose that holds very well for me in a vase is the climber America. And a third is the wonderful old hybrid tea, Silver Jubilee, which I grow as an ownroot.

• Al Mitchell zone 5b (ameri2nal)
    16 years ago

3rd vote for Peter Mayle, who smells awesome, long stems, and lasts a really long time in vase. Kinda thorny, though.....
    {{gwi:286078}}
    Also, I 2nd Rouge Royal which is a much better cutting rose, than a garden rose, because when you let them open on the bush, most get yucky. RR is intensely fragrant, too.
    {{gwi:286079}} Some flowers will be this red, but really, it's a more ruby color.
    AL

• rainbow_2007
    16 years ago

Sunny Delite(yellow HT) last a long time in the vase and bush. I've never seen any thorns, no fragrance and always has some blooms on it but it does defoliate(I don't spray) in the heat of summer but keeps on blooming, a lot of my roses are like that.

Christian Dior(red HT) - no fragrance but healthy foliage.