Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to this forum

Posted by Madri 5 OH (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 9:51

Hi all, I am new to this forum and new to growing roses. Here to get some great tips and advise on growing roses from experts. I live in zone 5.
I have been trying to grow roses but without much success. My level of expertise is, one rose per bush per season :)
I keep looking at all the excellent rose pictures from all the experienced rose gardeners and wish some day I will be able to grow roses like that.
Thank you, Madri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to this forum

Madri...welcome...I was you five years ago and this forum held my hand all the way through...I lurked for years and picked up tips and every year I improve. So good luck to you.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 12:23

Hi, Madri, and welcome to the garden! Roses really aren't all that mysterious. If you can grow perennials you can grow roses. We'll be happy to help you answer any questions you have.

o

I joined this forum this year and have learned so much about roses! Everyone is so kind and generous with their advice. It's been so helpful hearing about others experiences with roses you might want to grow. Welcome and have fun growing roses !

o

Welcome and hello Madri!

o

Thank you every one. All of you'll are so wonderful and helpful. I am very glad, I am at the right place to learn about roses.

o

Hi Madri:
Welcome. In addition to this forum, you might try looking up your local rose society and attend a meeting. I have found the members there are also very helpful and generous. Both the forum and my rose society advise me regarding all my newbie mistakes. They also help me to make good choices on what roses to grow for my area.

Bonnie

o

Welcome to the forum, Madri. You will find some very kind and helpful people on here.

o

Welcome to the Enabler...er Roses Forum! Pretty soon you will have 100 roses because you will see them here and have to have them!

I second joining a Rose Society. Not only will you learn a lot about roses, but there are so many great people in these societies and you get a lot of free roses. Rose Shows are a lot of fun too.

o

Thank you every one, you guys are all so wonderful. Thanks Bonnie and Buford, thats a great idea to join the rose society. I did join a local rose society this year. I seem to have been bitten by the rose bug badly and buying rose bushes like crazy. Ordered from roses unlimited and got roses from Palatine roses this spring.
For people in zone 5 and colder, palatine roses has a good selection, they are grown in Canada, weather similar to zone 5 ( got to know about them through the local rose society) They are grafted bare root roses, but their roots are very robust.
For some reason my roses in containers are doing better than the ones in the ground. Will post pictures shortly.
Madri.

o

Madri, it sounds like you're off to a great start. Best of luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here