Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
molineux_gw

Double Delight own root in Z6?

Molineux
9 years ago

Can it be done? My husband is about to finish a big raised flower bed in the back yard next to sunken patio. He wants "real" roses; i.e. Hybrid Teas instead of the English and Old Garden Roses that I grow in the front and side yards.

My husband has picked DOUBLE DELIGHT for this bed; an entire row of them. Now don't get me wrong. I love DD but I'm not ignorant of its faults. I grew it for years in Tidewater Virginia. It took me a lot of trouble (and money) to finally find a virus free grafted plant that performed well. Now I'm faced with the same dilemma. Instead of dealing with grafted plants again I'm considering trying this rose own root from a source I trust for RMV free plants. Problem is my husband is impatient. I don't think he is willing to wait 5 years for a delicate Hybrid Tea to establish itself.

Does Double Delight grow well on its own roots in USDA Zone 6b/7a? We're replacing the clay soil in the raised flower bed so it will be optimal for rose culture. The bed receives full Southern exposure. I'm fully prepared to spray and baby these plants.

Thank you,

Patrick

Image of Double Delight by diggerdave-4b/5a-Montana at Hortiplex.

Comments (7)