Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fortuniana rootstock in hot dry climates

Posted by harmonyp NorCA 9b (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 10:02

I have yet to find a rose in my area of N. CA. in a nursery or big box, on anything other than Dr. Huey. And indeed, Dr. Huey does great out here.

But, I've seen some roses for purchase via Internet enabled vendors that are only available on Fortuniana rootstock.

How does Fortuniana do in a hot dry climate?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fortuniana rootstock in hot dry climates

We see Fortuniana here and there in California, growing like a weed -- and clearly, these are old rootstock plants. I'd say it must be very successful.

Here, we have a Fortuniana collected in an old cemetery, which has grown from the bottom of our hillside to the top, along an old fence. I'd LOVE to try roses on Fortuniana here.

Frankly, from the look of the successful old rootstock plants, I'd also love to try Ragged Robin. At least if it suckered, and the scion died, you'd have a great rose remaining.

Jeri Jennings
Coastal Ventura Co., SoCal

o

I live in the North SF Bay, and I agree with Jeri - old fortuniana rootstock plants do so well here, I would think roses grafted on that would do well too. Personally, I prefer own root roses, but if you want one that is on fort, I would go for it. Here is a picture of an old fortuniana bush (one bush!) climbing up trees at the house next door to ours:

Photobucket

Jackie

o

Fortuniana grafted roses do great in SoCal. I get them whenever I can, and I also do my own grafting, usually to Fortuniana and Pink Clouds occasionally.

The only places to buy Fortuniana grafted plants are K&M Nursery and Cool Roses .

Both are small family run operations that have excellent plants, but small levels of stock, so sometimes it takes a long while to get what you have ordered. Both are back east, so shipping costs are generally high for us California types.

o

You might also try Burlington Rose Nursery.

I think she would bud to Fortuniana on request.

Jeri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here