Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rideauroselad

"Treasure Trail", First Impressions

I am a great admirer of Paul Barden's efforts as a hybridizer and grow several of his roses. Last fall, after researching what those who grow it have to say, admiring pictures on HMF and considering its breeding for potential cold hardiness, I ordered two bands of Treasure Trail. They arrived in mid April.

Importing bands from the US to Eastern Canada is a risky and costly business, I have lost a significant number over the years for various reasons, including border delays and the shock of my cold winters to slow starting southern grown rose bands. So it is always with some apprehension that I await a shipment of imported bands.

The two bands of Treasure Trail that I recieved from Rogue Valley Roses impressed me as soon as I saw them. They were by far the most healthy and vigorous looking plants of the eight in my shipment. Though small, they looked fresh, bushy and vigorous with buds forming on all of the canes.

I potted them both in a 12 inch pot in potting soil ammended with good compost and and mulched with well rotted manure. They have been growing in their new pot for almost seven weeks now and I gave them a dose weak fish fertilizer a week ago.

One bloom has opened and it is heart stoppingly beautiful. There are many buds on both of my plants and they have grown well enough in their first few weeks here that I feel no need to disbud them. In fact they are both sending out multiple new canes and have grown to over 12 inches. I am certain that I will have to separate them and place them in individual pots in another month the way they are growing. The bloom form and colour are very similar the Austin rose Christopher Marlowe, which I also grow because I love this bloom colour and form. C.M. gets excellent reviews on HMF, but is weak for me and does not like my cold climate. Treasure Trail is a far superior rose, at least in my climate, with a cool wet spring this year.

Here is a photo of my potted bands taken late last week:

{{gwi:286483}}

Paul, if you see this post, congratulations on what seems to me to be a superb introduction. This rose and your Joyce Barden deserve much wider distribution and popularity. IMHO, these two roses are the equal of anything any other hybridizer has produced. I feel priveleged to be able to grow them both.

Cheers, Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Treasure Trail on HMF