Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hanna0523

PLEASE help me choose showy red rose

Hanna0523
10 years ago

Hello everyone - Could anyone please help me to choose the rose? This is to create low hedge for my front garden.
I live in zone 6 area.

What I am looking for is
Showy red / scarlet
upright
4-5feet tall / wide
Japaense beelte tends to avoid, if possible.
Repeat bloom

thank you for your help in advance!!

Comments (7)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

If you are in eastern zone 6, the vast majority of roses need spraying with fungicide to control blackspot disease. Take a look at Home Run, which has scarlet color and good blackspot resistance. I'm not sure it will get as tall as you want, but maybe if you prune minimally. Explore the linked page.

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF HR

• the_morden_man
    10 years ago

I have a couple of Homerun and like them a lot. It will get about 4ft tall by end of seasson and 3 feet wide. It blooms a lot and repeats quickly, but the blooms don't last very long in the heat and if you're not into single blooms with no fragrance, then Homerun is not for you.

I'd recommend these 2 over Homerun as they have outperformed them in my garden:

Black Forest
    Out of Rosenheim

Neither should require spraying for disease.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I have no idea about how it would do in your zone or with japanese beetles and more of a softer orange red but

'Ole'

I am amazed at the number of open roses-had to be 50+, how long they last and handle our heat all while growing in a large old horse trough. And that after getting hastily dug up from a neighbors yard, put in a 5g pot for a couple of months and then planted. Probably a bit short for a hedge, but that might be due to the poor conditions ours is in.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

One word of warning with Home Run--very sharp prickles and lots of them! You don't want anyone having to walk closely by them, or they may be permanently snagged on Home Run.

Other than that, Home Run has made a great 3x3 ft hedge for me in Zone 6 Midwest.

Don't know how it handles JBs--we dont' have them here (knock on wood!).

Here is Home Run last year. They could be planted a bit closer for a more continuous look, but I wanted a slight space between them.

{{gwi:286502}}

Kate

This post was edited by dublinbay on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 12:37

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I like my Home Run as well. It's much healthier and more floriforous than my Knock Out. It's self cleaning, very hardy and practically no maintenance.

{{gwi:286503}}

{{gwi:286504}}

Another really good red show off is my polyantha Zenaitta. It's always covered in small bright red blooms in huge sprays. Good disease resistance and hardiness too.

{{gwi:286505}}

{{gwi:286506}}

• dutchrose71
    10 years ago

What about Lavaglut? I do not grow it-- it is on my "next year" list.

I have read and heard many good things about it-- though I'm not sure it would meet your height requirement.

Nor do I know firsthand about JB avoidance, but my experience this year is that JBs go for the yellow roses.
    I'm also hearing good things about Europeana...

• Hanna0523
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your reply. glad I asked here. wow. Home Run is beautiful!

I found my local nursery was selling Flower Carpet Rose Scarlet for 20% off. I don't know about this rose so didn't take it. But is anybody growing Flower Carpet Rose?

thank you in advance for your input.