Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreark

Bloodmeal tea for roses??

andreark
10 years ago

My gardener says that he has used a bloodmeal 'tea' on roses for other customers.

The package says to use on acid loving plants only. I know that roses can take a small amount of acid in the soil, but I wouldn't call them acid loving.

Should I use bloodmeal on them?

andrea

Comments (10)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Are you having a problem with your roses?
    People may use bloodmeal on roses to correct nitrogen deficiencies in the soil or to obtain lush green foilage in early Spring.
    But in my opinion that just attracts more Aphids to the roses...
    Not sure about the Tea form...?

But too much bloodmeal will easily burn roots or cause your roses not to flower this time of year.

I would learn all you can about bloodmeal before you
    consider applying it...

If its not broken it doesn't need to be fixed in my opinion...lol

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jim,

You said:

"I would learn all you can about bloodmeal before you consider applying it."

That is precisely what I am trying to do. My first question is, can this product be used on roses?

Thanks,
    andrea

10 years ago

Yes blood meal can be used on roses usually at 2 TBS per MATURE rose bush if needed... opinions may vary but that is mine...

I have Dr Earth bloodmeal which calls for 1 cup but I think that is way to much for mature roses...
    Like I said if to much is used then roots can be burned or lack of flowering may happen...
    How much is to much? It may vary from location to location, different type roses, etc.

Are your roses having problems from lack of nitrogen???

If your not having a problem with low nitrogen then personally I would just use Alfalfa meal or garden alfalfa pellets mixed with alittle rose food to give your roses a boost...

It's hard for me to give advice because my climate and soil can be totally different than yours...
    I experiment here... So far I found out less is more when dealing with fertilizer...

But a person in a different location with different soil, etc. might have different opinions..

I have no idea about using blood meal tea... I never tried it...

This post was edited by jim1961 on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 13:41

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is as I thought....after reading the warning about burning roots. 'A LITTLE DAB WILL DO YA' God, how old am I ?? (Not a real question)

Thanks again,

andrea

• michaelg
    10 years ago

If you put blood meal in water, it will dissolve the fast nitrogen and leave the slow nitrogen behind in the container--you might as well be using urea-based lawn fertilizer. If you put the blood meal under the mulch (2-3 TB), watering will dissolve the fast nitrogen and the slow nitrogen will become available later. I don't see any point in making tea.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Michael,

You are truly a wonder and a big help for me. Another will do!!

Also, I have 2 rose beds now. (Yes they are gorgeous!) One is only 8 days old and one established. The new bushes were potted and just lifted into their prepared
    holes. (I didn't get the Turface in time, but I feel good about the rest of the soil.) Should I do the new roses with blood meal or wait until they are older. I know you said that Nitrogen is transient and therefore hard to measure in soil. But my soil tested SO low that I wanted to add just a smidge.

Am I on the right track?....or not.

andrea

• mzstitch
    10 years ago

Andrea,
    I used bloodmeal this year for the very first time, and I've been rose gardening for about 7 years total. I buy all of my roses from Roses Unlimited here in S.C. and that's where I got the idea of using it. They suggest using it at the start of each season. You can see there weekly rose recommendations here: http://www.rosesunlimitedownroot.com/new_page_49.htm
    They suggested 1/2 cup of bloodmeal, and because this is the first time using it I cut that amount in half and only used 1/4 cup for each rose plant. I extended that amount from under the plant, and a bit past the drip line. I will tell you my foliage has been much healthier this year than past years, likely more of it too. Now, we have had a cool spring so I'm not sure that is not weather related.
    When planting a new rose I would not recommend it. Roses Unlimited does not recommend it. To plant a new rose they suggest the following: http://www.rosesunlimitedownroot.com/new_page_45.htm . Give your new roses time to settle in. I don't even use any fertilizer on newly planted roses for a month or two until I see at least four inches of new growth.

10 years ago

I don't fertilize my first year roses at all...

Take a pic of your garden sometime andreark I'd like to see it... :)

This post was edited by jim1961 on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 19:50

• michaelg
    10 years ago

A half cup (8 TB) of 12-0-0, half of it fast release N, is a whole lot of N unless you are spreading it on a 6' x 6' area. Unlike some others, I fertilize my new plants, but lightly. One or two TB won't hurt.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My new babies (very large for new) will get 2 Tbsp. tonight and then water. They have already had quite a few blooms, but I deadhead as soon as they are fully open. So no blooms at the moment.

Will send photos when both old and new are in bloom.

Thank you all so very much.

andrea

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!