Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with selecting a climber

Posted by Komeht (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 10:32

Need a tall repeat bloomer climber to dress up a blank stucco wall. Looking for a color that will pop against the white. Probably a shade of pink, anywhere from blush to deep (but open to other suggestions - perhaps lilac, lavender or purples as well). White, yellow and red have been rejected by the aesthetics committee.

Thorns don't matter - will be out of the way.

Wall is southern exposure - 6+ hours full sun from early morning to mid-late afternoon.
Will train it up trellis at least 10' and then over to pergola, so needs to be 15'-20' or more.

Fragrance would be nice, but not necessary.

Under consideration so far:

New Dawn (I would probably do this but already have one growing elsewhere and would like to add something else).

Awakening

Cecile Brunner (flower might be too small)

Eden (too short?)

Second question - looking for a good source for a free standing metal trellis - plain adornment - about 10' high. Something that can go adjacent to the wall but be set in the ground rather than be mounted physically to the stucco wall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with selecting a climber

I love my Viking Queen.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 11:24

Climate matters a lot when it comes to roses. What is your general location?

o

hoovb - Central Texas - zone 8

o

I am in zone 8, SE Tx and I am going to suggest a Cl. Pinkie. I planted 3 this spring and they have already grown well over 5 ft and are bushy. The color is a medium pink got me and it has been very disease resistant. It is supposed to be a continuous bloomer once established but for me it has only had a spring flush and sporadic blooms afterwards. It's concentrating on growing right now lol. So far I am loving it.

o

Eden has some of the most beautiful blooms you are likely to encounter and it grows 10-12 ft so would be tall enough, but I don't think it would work that well colorwise. Basically it is a white rose with a pink center, so I don't think it will provide the "pop" you want. (And some people complain of poor re-bloom, if that matters. Mine re-bloomed, although not strongly.)

I would think in hot Texas, you would do well to get one of the "earth-kind" roses that were tested in that area. I believe Pinkie is one of their big successes and therefore would work well for you, as Boncrow suggested.

Kate

o

If I found one I loved I'd plant 2 for the length needed. These pinks I have been eyeballing.
Hope someone comments on hardiness for your area or is that not an issue?

Blossomtime - 15ft., O'Neal'51

Cesar - 16ft., pink tho HMF says yellow blend ???

Compassion - 15ft. (mine blooms at the end of canes, often candelabras, no laterals after ~10 years, I'd like to replace it with Papi Delbard)

Dream Weaver - 12ft., florib, zary'98

Maid of Kent - 12ft., clusters of sm flowers

Papi Delbard - 15ft.

Parade - 12ft., darker pink that lightens

Pearly Gates - 12ft., blooms last in Sacramento's humid heat in CA (per Kathy who knows her roses)

Penny Lane - 15ft.

Spanish Beauty - 20ft. (nope, don't want the pruning job)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here