Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homemade Flower Food for Cut Roses?

Posted by mbuckmaster 7B/NC (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 20, 09 at 10:34

I did a search on this, but didn't come up with anything specifically for roses (although I'm sure I just probably missed it!).

Does anyone have a great "recipe" for homemade flower food to include in vases for cut roses? I've read general flower food recipes to add some lemon juice, bleach, 7-Up, or vinegar in different proportions, and have had mixed results. Has anyone had good success with their own additives to vase water? Thanks in advance for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homemade Flower Food for Cut Roses?

If I put a teensy drop of bleach and a dash of 7-Up in the water, that works pretty well.

o

I found one I have been using. In 2 quarts warm water dissolve 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon bleach. It works pretty well.

I also found these for you

* Add one part lemon-lime soda (not diet) to 3 parts water. Then to each quart of this solution, add 1/4 teaspoon bleach. Thereafter, add 1/4 teaspoon bleach after each 4 days of use.
* To 1 quart water add 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon bleach.
* Add 2 ounces Listerine mouthwash per gallon of water. Listerine contains sucrose (food) and a bactericide. Listerine is acidic and is said help water move up the cut stem.

Cut Flower Preservative Recipe #1

* 2 cups lemon-lime carbonated beverage (e.g., Sprite or 7-Up)
* 1/2 teaspoon household chlorine bleach
* 2 cups warm water

Cut Flower Preservative Recipe #2

* 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1 quart warm water

Cut Flower Preservative Recipe #3

* 2 tablespoons white vinegar
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 1 quart warm water

I haven't tried any of these though.

o

I haven't needed to use bleach with the lemon-lime soda, the citric acid keeps the water clean enough. Bleach & sugar, yes.

Also, make sure to remove any leaves that would be below the water line in the vase. Leaves decompose quickly and the bacteria makes the water dirty.

Change the water in the vase every 3 days or so, and reclip the ends of the stems under water before putting the stems in the new water.

o

An article I read some while ago recommended a dash of gin.

I've not tried it, because I loathe gin, and so don't have any.
But Diane's other suggestions are probably half the battle.

Also -- some roses have better vase life than others.

Jeri

o

Thanks for the great tips!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here