Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buggalinajujubee

Favorite Florabundas?

BuggalinaJuJuBee
18 years ago

Hi! I am new to roses this year and am enjoying reading and learning from all your posts. I'm starting to get the hang of it and am really trying to research what I want to plant next year so I am ready at the beginning of the season. Would you please tell me what your favorite florabundas are, and why? For the areas I am looking to plant roses in my garden I am thinking that florabundas are a good choice. I'm looking for show, not cut flowers exactly. It is an area around a raised deck that needs upright growing plants at least 3 feet high, up to 5 feet. People have told me that since I am in CA that if the tag says a certain height that I can probably add another foot to that. I really just want to look out my living room windows or sit on my deck and be surrounded by color, scents are an added bonus.

The only florabunda I have is the one I just ordered from Vintage, an Iceberg, that should be coming today or tomorrow. I know it is one of those extra common ones, but it is going in my newly landscaped front yard. I have room for one rose, and it needs to be a reliable one. I am more than willing to be adventurous in my back garden. Currently in the back I have a Crown Princess Margareta in the ground (doing well, healthy) and a Christopher Marlowe in a container. I am quickly falling in love with growing roses and will probably be getting more than I can plant soon. You have all mentioned the pot ghetto, which I think is pretty funny. I do have lots of room, for the moment, for container gardening, so I am thinking that some of my newer acquisitions will prove themselves in the containers before I grant them permanent homes in the garden. Container gardening is how I got started, so I am pretty confident that they will get the care and attention they need.

Thanks for sending out your faves. I am especially looking forward to hearing from CA rosers to hear how yours are doing. Crazy weather this year, huh? Aren't we supposed to have sun in our state?

Julie

Comments (92)

• newyorkrita
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would like to get them both, Sunflare and Sunsprite but no more roses until next year.

Gotta bump this to page one as the question of favorite florabundas has come up again.

• mike5953
    18 years ago

Well, since it came up again
    Gingersnap is without a doubt my favorite floribunda. Its relatively long lasting blooms start out bright orange and slowly fade to a pleasant yellow/apricot blend.
    Another orange blend that I have to include is Disneyland (and not just for sentimental reasons, though IÂll admit that I was originally attracted to the rose by its name alone). Its blooms look electric.

• Micimacko
    18 years ago

All these photos were taken in June, 3 months after planting
    Special Occasion
    {{gwi:287269}}

Anisley Dikson

{{gwi:287270}}

Apricot Nectar (this one gets big)

{{gwi:287271}}

• newyorkrita
    18 years ago

Love the picture of Special Occasion. This thread is a really great source of information for us new rosers (like me)!

• newyorkrita
    18 years ago

I keep looking out my window when I am at my computer to the four Lavagluts I planted this year. The flowers are the most beautiful shade of smokey crimson red and they seem to last for forever! Love this rose.

• desertratrose
    18 years ago

Summer Fashion - long out of commerce but due back as the patent has expired. Bi-color white with a lovely pink edging.

{{gwi:287272}}

Marmalade Skies - new for me this past year, looks like a three year old bush already and has bloomed non-stop. Unusual salmon-orange color that manages to not be garish and just lites up its corner of the garden.

{{gwi:287273}}

Hot Cocoa - The floribunda with size issues. I have three shrubs. Two are nicely behaved keeping between four and five feet tall. One has reached for the heavens and sent up massive (two inch at the base) canes that have soared to seven feet! Unusual color that is usually love it or hate it. In cooler weather it has the color below, warmer weather makes it bright (possibly garish) reddish orange color. The dual nature of its color makes it hard to pair with other roses, but mine do well with Marilyn Monroe, French Lace, Just Joey and Fragrant Cloud all in a bed.

{{gwi:287274}}

Trumpeter - Red. On the orange side of red. Some people call it orange. I say its red. Just warning you in case there's an argu... er 'discussion' ensues. :) Pumps out the blooms, stays low but can spread its wings a bit. Ignore the sign that says charisma in the pic, its for the standard above it.

{{gwi:287275}}

Simply Marvelous - One of those roses that actually lives up to its name. Mauve. Fragrant. The pictures say the rest.

{{gwi:287276}}

{{gwi:287277}}

Outrageous - Beautiful bright blooms, strong fragrance. Mine isn't blooming enough but its got some shade issues and it does bloom on the sunny cane, as it were, so its getting moved.

{{gwi:287278}}

Honey Perfume - Not so great its first year, Honey Perfume has exploded with growth and blooms in it second. Apricot with lovely form and fragrance.

{{gwi:287279}}

Gingersnap - One of the strongest orange roses going. Fades the least, never seems to stop blooming.

{{gwi:287280}}

French Lace - A delicate beauty that has huge heavy but distinct flushes. Adding a second one this coming season.

{{gwi:287281}}

Disneyland - This rose has distinct coloration and as it matures just gets better and better. Really pumps out the blooms and just makes you go 'wow!'.

{{gwi:287283}}

Angel Face - Mauve, ruffled blooms, fragrant. Mine gets better and better as it matures. Loves afternoon shade in the heat.

{{gwi:287285}}

Lime Sublime, Brass Band, Rusty, Daybreaker and Victorian Spice look really promising but are still babies.

Suz

• RoseNut_NW
    18 years ago

Seconds for:

Gruss an Aachen, Angel Face, and Hot Cocoa (NOT together though!lol)

LOVE the first two. AF blooms nonstop for me and smells awesome! HC is new, so we'll see, but I like it so far. No scent though.

• Traminer
    18 years ago

'Special Occasion' is a FLORABUNDA? Pickering sells it as a Hybrid Tea & the American Rose Society, in its 'Encyclopedia of Roses', identifies it as a Hybrid Tea.

I guess I must be the only person on the planet who has ever shovel-pruned 'Iceberg' . . . What a dog! I tried several plants (grafted [Dr Huey & multiflora], as well as own-root), only to conclude that this highly rated rose is the most over-rated rose in history. Hmmm . . . must be my micro-climate.

• RoseNut_NW
    18 years ago

Can we also mention our HTs that bloom as if they're FBs?

In that case:
    Stainless Steel (I have one with about 10 blooms on a spray)
    Pascali (should be an FB)
    Double Delight (also usually in sprays for me)

Is it me? I'd just like to cut one nice longggg-stemmed single rose sometime...

And Stainless Steel and Double Delight smell SO good!

• Sally_D
    18 years ago

These are great performers for me:

Charles Aznavor
    Europeana
    Gruss an Aachen
    Guy de Maupassant
    Miami Moon
    OLOG
    Passionate Kisses
    Playgirl
    Playboy
    Showbiz

• newyorkrita
    18 years ago

HA!!! I am so smart! I just figgured out a nice spot I can plant four oses. Two on earther side of my front walkway way out by the street. Full sun.

Now I am reviewing this Florabunda thread to decide which to choose to plant there. I guess there is no hurry to decide as they will not be planted until next spring. Bigest criteria is they can't grow too tall!!!

• klimkm
    18 years ago

If you are planting on the sides ot the walkway - make sure they are not "octopus" canes that grab people as they walk. Those are not nice!
    My nicest most well behaved floribunda is "trumpeter". Tomato red color, no disease and blooms constantly. Very easy rose.
    Another very easy is "valentine". I also have "pink rosette" which is a good bloomer too with really cute pink button flowers.
    All are own root from chamblees roses.
    I too, am looking for a few more floribundas this year. So I am interested in this thread as well... I am looking for a yellow and a peach, apricot or a coral colored one.
    I am looking at apricot nectar. I like a lot of the "boerner" classic floribundas.

Good luck!

• cherriej
    18 years ago

No one has mentioned Love Potion. My favorite! A super bloomer with wonderful fragrance that carries! You don't even have to bend down to smell it, the fragance jumps up to meet you.

Everything I read about this rose says that it's lavender but mine has been a dusty rose color since I got it last year. The color stays true even in the heat. The petals look as if they were made of suede. It's so beautiful. Makes a good cutting rose too. Flowers lasting a long time on the bush or in a vase.

No diesease problems at all and even the Japanese Beetles left it alone which I was amazing since this is such a sweet smelling rose.

Good luck with your rose hunt.
    Cherrie

Love Potion Floribuna
    {{gwi:287288}}

{{gwi:287290}}

• brskovich
    18 years ago

Sunsprite and Moonsprite. I've been hankering for Vintage's Moonsprite sport, Apricot Moon, as well :-)

• Sconey
    18 years ago

I love Floribundas myself and my favorites are:
    Sunspirte, George Burns, Bill Warriner and Daybreaker.

There are so many good ones you would have a hard time getting a really bad one.

Happy shopping!

• bcmouli
    18 years ago

Can someone tell me where to buy them in Chicao area (or oder online) the "Burgundy" Iceberg rose plant?

I searched the web high and low and found only sites based in UK and AU listing them.

tahgnks

• vissara
    18 years ago

I'll second Stainless Steel, beautitul, fragrant and tough.
    Shrugs off disease no problem

And I will mention Rainforest, the blooms are a bit small, but you won't find the color on anything else

• jont1
    18 years ago

DayBreaker is my favorite of all roses as it is floriferous, healthy, vigorous growing bush, and gorgeous foliage.
    Also to recommend--Our Lady of Guadalupe, Hot Cocoa, Sunsprite, Apricot Nectar, Bill Warriner.

• Hawkeye_Belle
    18 years ago

I cannot believe no one has suggested Easy Going, the sport of Livin Easy. Fragrant, disease resistant and abundant blooms. What more could you want?

• newyorkrita
    18 years ago

Still a great thread on Florabundas. I found it on the last page about to fall off.

• susan82
    18 years ago

Pink: Bill Warriner
    Yellow: Sheila's Perfume
    Peach: Toss up between Apricot Nectar and Fragrant Apricot
    White: Iceberg, of course!

• rosebud
    18 years ago

Nearly Wild is a good one:

• cloudia
    18 years ago

I also would recommend Honey Perfume. It has very good disease resistance. And while it may bit slow to start own-root the blooms become gorgeous, and it has scent.

I love Sheila's Perfume, but it does get powdery mildew.

A new one from Clements that technically may be a shrub, Tropical Fragrance really does smell like tangerines!!! Semi-double, but a beautiful rich red. Does get some blackspot, but I still like it.

A classic that hasn't been mentioned--Singing in the Rain. Has awesome color changes, coffee, apricot, pink, cream and gold, very floriferous, cute licorice scent. Foliage isn't the cleanest, but still a very healthy plant. (Especially mine, since I got it from Edmund's.) If you don't mind or are interested in the occasional coffee look, this is a good one, IMO.

I actually got Apricot Moon, but I really don't see very much difference between Apricot Moon and Moonsprite. Moonsprite is very nice though especially if you like licorice. STRONGly scented.

• tcc1
    18 years ago

Hurray for Love Potion and Disneyland

{{gwi:287294}}

{{gwi:287296}}

• solitude
    18 years ago

Two hardy floribundas not mentioned that I love are Good Morning that one is apricot colored and Nicole a pink blend, but that one can get tall.

• newyorkrita
    17 years ago

I added quite afew florabundas this year-

Black Cherry
    Trumpeter
    Sunsprite
    Heaven on Earth
    Tuscan Sun
    Outrageous
    Playboy
    Hot Coccoa

• msjam2
    17 years ago

At this time, my favorite are Tuscan Sun, Disneyland, Julia Child, Easy Going, Lvin Easy and Honey Perfume.

• buford
    17 years ago

I just rescued my Simply Marvelous from a lousy spot and am hoping it does well this year.

I have a white floribunda called Fabulous which lives up to it's name, although it tends to get floppy during flushes.

Melody parfume puts out tons of blooms and the scent is great.

• ksflowergirl
    17 years ago

Grus An Achen was my first Floribunda last year. I bought it bare root in early Summer, and even under our rough KS conditions, it has done well--no BS, no bugs except some aphids this spring. I have mine on the north side of my house, where it receives only morning sun. In the same area, I've added Brilliant Pink Iceberg this year, and am really excited about how it will perform. I've also been looking for a spot for Iceberg, as I noticed it performs extremely well in the Loose Park Rose Garden each year.

• newyorkrita
    17 years ago

Right now the four Lavagluts I planted last year are blooming and I just can not believe the amount of flowers on them!

• theroselvr
    17 years ago

If I knew now what I knew then... Decide what you'll do with them, will you want to make bouquets? Do you want the bouquets to somewhat match or can it be anything goes? A few weeks ago I gave out 5+ bouquets, all with complimentary colors. Will you spray for pests? That alone will make the world of difference. Most light colored roses will get thrips, which damage the blooms.

Some of my faves:
    Trumpeter
    Brilliant Pink Iceberg (Planted next to iceberg & an orange rose) awesome combo.
    Anthony Meilland
    Charles Aznavour
    Dicky
    Gene Boerner
    Gruss An Aachen (and Pink)
    Victorian Spice
    Passionate Kisses
    Showbiz
    Singin In The Rain
    Strawberry Ice - total bloom machine
    Sunsprite
    Tournament of Roses
    Cherry Parfait
    Benjamine Britten - this is awesome for color & scent
    Morden Fireglow- color
    Heritage
    Redoute - bloom machine
    Wise Portia
    Carefree Wonder - bloom machine
    Distant Drums
    Outta The Blue
    Auguste renoir - another bloom machine
    Painted Moon - HT but awesome
    Lady of the Mist - shrub, love it

• gw:gigi-f
    17 years ago

Love this thread! I'm seeing lots of comments on "Sunsprite", thank goodness. I got this guy several years ago, he's been towards the back, never did much. This year, I moved him to a spot where he gets more sun and he's exploded! Gorgeous! I was giving him his last chance before he's gone, and I'm thrilled I stuck him out in front! About Iceberg- I SP this one last week. It's really pretty, but I want cut flowers and fragrance, and my friend wanted tons of blooms in her yard, so it seemed fair to give her Iceberg-she's thrilled! Sterling Silver is very disappointing for me, she's going to an orchid-growing friend who wants to nuture more than me. And many of those everyone recommended are supposed to be on their way from Park (it's taking FOREVER, I've called them twice).

• bouquet_kansas
    17 years ago

i love floribundas too.....am amazed at how many some of you have...envious here......the ones i do have and like are sunflare...heaven on earth...disneyland...showbiz.

• newyorkrita
    17 years ago

Ones I really like this year-
    Lavaglut
    Black Cherry
    Charles Aznavour
    Gingersnap
    Heaven on Earth
    Purple Tiger
    Playboy

All except Lavaglut are new to me this year.

• matt_in_mi
    17 years ago

I only have one floribunda at the moment, a Sunsprite, so I guess it's my favorite. :^)

• jont1
    17 years ago

I also like Pinnacle, Marmalade Skies, Ebb Tide, Chihuly, and Sheila's Perfume. All have performed well for me.
    john

• newyorkrita
    17 years ago

I love Floribundas! Have ordered more for this spring. This is such a great thread on Floribundas mainly I just didn't want it to fall off the board!

• jont1
    17 years ago

Besides DayBreaker and Our Lady Of Guadalupe that I already mentioned, I must now add Pinnacle and Chihuly. Chihuly is truly vibrant and very healthy and vigorous growing for me. My neighbor across the street really likes it as well.
    John

• seil zone 6b MI
    17 years ago

I would never recommend Angel Face to a beginner, lovely blooms,total black spot magnet here. Hot Cocoa is one you either love the color or you hate it. I love it. Tuscan Sun is gorgeous. Tons of blooms in ever changing shades of orange and apricot. Sunsprite? Lovely but don't blink, they blow in a flash. A really pretty one from Jackson and Perkins is Sisters at Heart.

If you really want a lot of bloom for your bucks look into some polyantha roses. I have Margo Koster, Zenaitta and Verdun. Masses of blooms on fairly compact plants that do well in pots.

• newyorkrita
    16 years ago

I have a rose garden in a section of my front yard which is way out by the street. All passersby get a great view of all the roses. It is mostly floribundas (but not all), some put in last year and others moved into this garden this spring, plus new ones bought this year. Its not completely finished but is finished for this year.

Roses in this section are
    Robusta
    Home Run
    Rosa Mundi
    Sunsprite
    Sunflare
    Julia Child
    Purple Tiger
    Outrageous
    Tuscan Sun
    Eureka
    Charisma
    Topsey Turvey
    Easy Going
    Cherry Parfeit (my second one)
    Crimson Glory HT
    Playboy
    and some others that I just can't remember right now

The rose that people comment on the most and point to out of the whole group is Playboy so right now Playboy is my favotite floribunda.

• jerijen
    16 years ago

I note Pete likes Apricot Nectar in FL -- Well, I'm in coastal SoCal, in what is a fogbelt much of the time (not today!) and Apricot Nectar is also a wonderful rose here.
    We've grown it for 15-18 years, and it's still going strong. No disease problems for us.
    Blackspot isn't a problem here, but Angel Face is something of a weak grower here. VERY weak! And so is the lovely Purple Tiger.
    Sunsprite is a dependable, disease-free bloom-machine in California. Can't be beat for continuous bloom.
    I, too, recommend that you consider some of the Polyanthas. Wonderful, heavy-blooming workhorses.

Jeri

• luxrosa
    16 years ago

"Nimbus" a slate-mauve rose, with a pale tan-mauve center. Frilly and floriferous ours has bloomed continually from May 3 to June 28th and is still in full flush. a graceful plant too, with more supple canes than most of this class.
    Gingersnap for best orange
    Margaret Merril for best white.

Luxrosa

• newyorkrita
    16 years ago

Wow, this is a great old thread that is still here. Bumping up.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    16 years ago

Just out of curiosity, since you are in the Bay area, have you made a trip to the rose garden in Golden Gate Park? Many moons ago I had the opportunity to visit the place and saw the roses there. Sunsprite looked particularly happy. It would be a good place to visit to see what the roses look like in your area.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    16 years ago

Here are two nobody's mentioned. Royal Occasion-orange red
    good sprays. And a old one Circus a yellow blend

• Al Mitchell zone 5b (ameri2nal)
    16 years ago

no one has mentioned the Buck roses. While listed as shrubs, many are really just hardy floribundas.
    Praisie Sunrise, Prairie Star, and Honeysweet are excellent floribundas that are winter hardy and provide nice fragrance

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

I am a big Country Dancer fan. This Buck is clean and always in bloom!!

{{gwi:224630}}

• dallasguy
    16 years ago

I was doing a search for "sunsprite" and came across this thread. I just bought one today a HD (yuk but they had it for 8.88) Glad to see that I will be happy with it!

• Cindi_KS
    15 years ago

I was doing a search for good floribundas and Sheila's Perfume and see many names repeated over and over. There's some great info in this old thread! I just may have to try Gingersnap. For me, floribundas do better than HT's or Austins.

• sandandsun
    11 years ago

Hi!
    As a Floridian, my "catalog time" is summer, not winter because Fall, not Spring, is my best time to acquire and acclimate new perennials and roses. And honestly I can't stop thinking about 'Tropical Fragrance"since I read that it has a tangerine fragrance. Tangerine!
    Then I found this thread!
    It is 5 or 6 years on since these posts. Can you update your experience with it and the others? I'm particularly concerned about disease susceptibility since I don't spray.
    Thanks,
    Chris

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert