Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krismast

Any suggestions for my roses?

krismast
10 years ago

Hi everyone! My mother planted this climbing rose on our property at least 25-30 years ago. It has always bloomed reliably in the spring but it suffers from blackspot and defoliation in the summer. This year I have vowed to try and consistently take care of this rose. I have started a fungicide spraying regimen, and will soon fertilize it. Next spring, I plan on pruning some of the dead wood out. Please give me any suggestion to take good care of this rose!

Thanks so much

Kristopher

{{gwi:287574}}

Comments (8)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

How cool--your mom's rose!

I'd prune out all the deadwood right now.

I'd also give it regular feedings of one of the --Tones (RoseTone or HollyTone or PlantTone)--every month or 6 weeks (at end of each blooming cycle). Water it in well and don't forget to water the plant regularly to maintain moist soil (but not water-logged, please). Follow the directions for regular application of the fungicide--every two weeks maybe?--though you may be able to let up in July and August if it gets really hot then in your region.

There, that should about do it. Let us know how it fares.

Kate

• paparoseman
    10 years ago

It looks a lot like a climbing miniature rose. You can prune the canes WAY back this time of year and the bush will react by growing vigorously. In your zone it is not a good idea to HARD prune after July 15th but as it is five weeks till then you have plenty of time.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Can you post a picture of a single bloom? From your description it sound like it could be Dr. Huey but can't be sure with out seeing a photo of the bloom.

• socks
    10 years ago

That is really beautiful.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Has it ever produced any repeat bloom after the May-June flush? If not, it probably never will.

A good pruning tip for elderly rose plants is to remove a fraction of the canes (the oldest ones) at the base after the May-June flush is over. This causes the rose to regenerate itself by putting up a similar number of new canes from the base.

• krismast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for the delayed response. To be honest I don't know if its ever had a second bloom but I will keep an eye on it this year. To hear that it might jut be rootstock growth is slightly disappointing, but I talked with my mom and she said she did try to dig it up one year, but that she remembers it always blooming like this. So perhaps the grafted part of the rose NEVER made it and that it's always been rootstock. If I can't get the blackspot under control and it completely defoliates again, we might consider taking it out and replacing it with a named, tougher variety. Here's some more pictures I took, the quality isn't the greatest (cell phone) but what do you think? Is it Dr. Huey?

{{gwi:287576}}

{{gwi:287577}}

{{gwi:287579}}

{{gwi:287581}}

{{gwi:287582}}

Kristopher

• krismast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a couple more

{{gwi:287583}}

{{gwi:287584}}

Thanks for all your help!

Kristopher

• sunflowersrus222
    10 years ago

Dr. Huey is much darker and smaller. I just dug up a Dr. Huey that I've had for a few years after the graft died off. Yours does not look like a Dr. Huey to me based on the color and size of the blooms. Dr. Huey is a darker red like a red wine kind of red.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida