Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vampygirl13

Need help choosing a new climber

Melissa Mc (6b)
9 years ago

Hello all-

Need your advice on a good climber to choose to grow on the opposite side of my arbor from my New Dawn. Last year we got a Fourth of July climber but it didn't come back at all this year and by now I'm guessing it's dead. I'd like to plant another climber in its place.

I already have New Dawn (which is growing like a weed!), Abraham Darby (on another arbor) and Joseph's Coat (near our porch). I guess I'm looking for a really brightly colored climber in red, orange, purple or striped. Something that will have a good contrast with New Dawn.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Comments (9)

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Hi vampy. Where do you live? Do you spray fungicide?

• Melissa Mc (6b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi there-

I live in Western PA, zone 6b. I do organic spraying since my roses can get a lot of blackspot.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Sounds like you want a traffic stopper. Mine is 'Rosarium Uetersen', which produces masses of large, fairly fragrant flowers in vivid salmon pink, coral, or medium red, depending on the weather I guess. All the colors pop aggressively. Established plants repeat well. On the downside, it has large, sharp thorns. Mine is about 10 x12' on a support. It is vigorous and makes lots of canes to 8' that are flexible when young. Laterals 4' to 6' allow dense coverage of a trellis or arbor and flowers all the way to the ground. It does not make great long canes like 'New Dawn'. It is resistant to blackspot in some gardens, but there is a strain that affects it in others.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Hi Vampygirl

I agree with Michael that Rosarium Uetersen is an easy care disease resistant climber, and it does pop when in bloom, though I wish mine rebloomed better. Another orange climber that does well in many zones is Westerland, and it's pretty reliably hardy and healthy for me, though I don't know about east coast and BS. If you want a nice purple striped climber, there has been a lot of good reaction to Purple Splash, which seems to be hardy and a reliable bloomer around multiple areas of the country. Mine is just now approaching its "leap" year, so I can't say too much personally, but it is hardy for me.

As for red, there are a lot of hardy healthy options, depending on how you define "red". In gardening terms, that often translates to "hot pink" or "dark crimson", not a true fire engine red, but they tend to be eye-popping and particularly hardy and healthy. Some in this color range are Quadra, Illusion, Ramblin' Red, Field of the Woods (the latter two possibly the same rose). For a redder 'red', I've had good results from Dublin Bay and The Prince's Trust, the latter of whom is the fastest growing climber of any ilk I've grown.

Hope these give you some ideas!

Cynthia

• the_morden_man
    9 years ago

The following list will all be hardy to varying degrees in your zone. Some will be tip hardy, some will lose a little bit of cane in a colder than average winter. All of these are exceptionally disease resistant.

Yellow- Golden Gate, Leverkusen

Red- Ramblin' Red, Quadra, Amadeus, illusion

Bright Pink- Rosarium Uetersen, Felix LeClerc

Deep Pink- Laguna

Orange/Pinky/Apricot Blend- Aloha Hawaii

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Thornless Zephirine Drouhin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zephirine Drouhin on HMF

• Melissa Mc (6b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions! All of these are beautiful---just have to choose one! :)

• kingcobbtx7b
    9 years ago

Reds- I would suggest you look at Don Juan. I just had to move a 5 year old one when we moved and it was a good 14 ft tall and covered with big red blooms. I have a small RU that I am currently loving.

Yellow-You are 6b so not sure a Tea would work for you, but Climbing Lady Hillingdon is a gorgeous yellow for me. Sky's the Limit is also supposed to be great and if you want to try an Austin I have seen some impressive Lady Hamilton roses grown as climbers.

• Melissa Mc (6b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys but I let hubby pick this one since he picked the 4th of July that didn't make it. I chose Purple Splash and it was on sale and Roses Unlimited. Also replaced my Marilyn Monroe, which didn't make it either.